Battle Kid 2 - Releasing on 12/14

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

zzo38

Post by zzo38 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:33 am

Denine wrote:Yep, sorry Sivak, not going to buy this game. But I won't pirate it either.
I can wait patiently. Oh, and sorry about all this offtop. Back to the Battle Kid 2.
I can wait patiently too. If it happens to come downloadable in future (even if not when it is first released) then I may download it but believe me I don't mind paying the normal price for the game. But I don't want a cartridge I want a .NES file which can be played on the computer.

Perhaps that is what you can do, you can sell the computer file too (in addition to the cartridge) after the game has been sold already for a while, after some amount of time?

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:45 pm

There's actually a cheaper option which I forgot to mention, and Memblers promotes it whenever it comes up: using the PRG or CHR EEPROM itself for save games. Cost: free if CHR, 6¢ for a 741g14 if PRG (unless you find one where nWR overrides nRD). Downsides: screwing it up damages or bricks the game; an EEPROM with sector erase is required; EEPROM isn't available for reading during erase or write so if PRG, save game writing routine must be copied to internal RAM first and if CHR, video must be disabled during erase.

Denine

Post by Denine » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:00 am

tepples wrote:Would it be just as fine if these games were made available in Famicom format to fit your famiclone? Because if so, I'll get on IRC and tell bunnyboy he could make a few more sales to customers in developing countries that way.
You really can do it? :shock:
Wow, would be great. But..I'm not sure about it. To be honest, in countries like mine, I'm not sure if the game sells very well. I'll buy it, but piracy is often more choosen option. I don't want bunnyboy or you to lose money on making cart that won't sell.
About compabibility, I'v never heard about not working famicom game with pegasus. And my famicom games(Kirby, SMB3, Rockman3 and few more) are working perfectly.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:36 am

NES to Famicom adapters are easy to find. I use this one, myself: $13 at gamedoctorhk

Personally, I think a ROM release that can be purchased via paypal would be more effective at getting it into the hands of people that want to pay for it than another physical release in an even more obscure format, but... well, I'm sure Sivak has thought hard about how he wants to release his game already.

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:22 pm

I asked on #nesdev:
bunnyboy wrote:Adapters to play NES games on Famicom are everywhere and cheap, just ugly. Stone Age Gamer has them for $11+shipping, and they certainly aren't a low cost place.
It appears he refers to this product.
Jeroen wrote:I have an adaptor. If you look carefully they're not hard to find. The reason the carts are not available is because it'd require a Famicom mold to be made, which would probably only be for a (relatively) small part of the community. Or if you go to famicomworld.com plenty of forum members can sell you some.
And you only need to buy one adapter to play all these. This includes Nomolos and both Battle Kids.

Denine

Post by Denine » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Huh, I really need o learn how to use google propelly. I think this will be best solution for everyone.
Thanks all.

thefox

Post by thefox » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:13 pm

FYI, PowerPak doesn't work with The Stone Age Gamer adapter. Not sure if the other linked one has the same problem. Just something to know.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:09 pm

The one I linked (from gamedoctorhk) has worked for me with everything I've tried (offhand I know I've used Powerpak, TMNT, Battletoads, Solar Jetman, SMB/DH, and some carts I built myself from ReproPak). This was all on a Famicom. It's ugly, but it works fine so far.

Sivak

Post by Sivak » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Just posted a new demo for the game.

http://sivak.nintendoage.com/BK2-NewDemo.zip - File

This is how the game is now versus how it was 11 months ago, heh.

Disch

Post by Disch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am

Very cool, but the pressing select from pause to get to the menu thing is very awkward.

I strongly recommend the more traditional approach:
Start: brings up the menu
Select: does a straight up pause
(a la, Zelda)

Unless you have other plans for Select in-game...

Also the character art is amazing. A big improvement from BK1.
Last edited by Disch on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 am

I like it, like the options and everything in it, but don't like how you can't leave the options menu with the start button. When you get into a menu with a button, you need to exit with that button to keep a logical flow of button assignments to the person playing the game. Bad design, but it's not too much of a game killer. That 1 pixel wide font on the other hand, is. I know I've commented on it a ton, but it's nearly impossible to read on a TV.

infiniteneslives

Re: Battle Kid 2 - Trailer & release info. Updated 7/9/

Post by infiniteneslives » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:54 am

Sivak wrote: I'm still in talks about the LE version, but it's finally going to be done.
What's the LE version? I'm guessing Limited Edition to some degree? Any word on what to expect for differences?

Finally got a chance to check out the updated demo, the characters are pretty BA. Too bad Timmy hasn't gotten a hair cut since the last game. Kids these days...

Unfortunately I'd have to agree the start->select->B->start button combo to get in and out of the menu does throw me off a bit. That said, I'm still racking my brain over the MM3 menu system.

In any event like everyone else I'll be here waiting with bated breath for the release.

Sivak

Post by Sivak » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:23 am

The LE version is a special edition that has a numbered cart, ROM, and case. May or may not do numbered manuals this time. They mainly go out to significant contributors or friends, but those that are left over are put into a pool where folks can enter and if their name is drawn, they are admitted, but they still have to pay for the thing.

I guess regarding the menu system... I had some difficulties when programming it and the paused method was just more convenient to do. I'm not going to attempt a rewrite at this phase. All I can say is you will get used it and players won't likely use it a whole lot. It's not like Mega Man where you switch weapons constantly. That's about all I can really say about it...

Sivak

Post by Sivak » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:02 pm

As of this morning, I sent him the final files. Thanks for the patience all.

Tormenter

Post by Tormenter » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:31 pm

You should really put out this stuff yourself. Its pretty easy. Plus you wont have to give the retrozone prick any money. There are alot of products I would of bought, if they were not sold through retrozone. I refused to give him a penny more of my money after getting zero support for a DoA snes powerpak and never answering any of my concerns getting it replaced.