Introducing: Super PAKPAK (2-4 player game)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

artoh

Introducing: Super PAKPAK (2-4 player game)

Post by artoh »

Hello,
I have been working on this NES game project for a while now.
It is an entry for Assembly Summer 2010 gamedev competition to be held in Helsinki, Finland.

The archive is here:
http://media.assembly.org/gamedev/2010/ ... _games.zip

The other entries are here (mine is the only NES game, though):
http://www.assembly.org/summer10/news/g ... -published
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Very interesting game! Still have to play it with an actual person for the real experience, but so far, I like it! The presentation is very nice too, with interesting distortion effects, smooth screen transitions using fades... Congratulations!

A little off-topic, but the way the scenery can be destroyed reminds me of Worms. That too would be a fun game to play on the NES, and after seeing your game I believe it can be done!
jwdonal

awesome!

Post by jwdonal »

Dude! This is a really fun game yo! Nice work!

I love how your own stray bullets can kill you. hahaha
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

That's really cool.
Kreese

Post by Kreese »

Wow nice game! This supports a four score I suppose? It could be the ultimate party game for us NES entusiasts!

Would it be possible to put it on a real cart? What donor cart should be used then?
arfink

Post by arfink »

This is super cool! Any chance of updates? By the way, very nice documentation with the game.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Cool little game, nice presentation! But why no ingame music? I used to play cave flying games like this a lot on PC when I was younger.

Anybody think it would be possible to implement a multidirectional scrolling version of a game like this with split screen for two players (using single screen mirroring)? I don't think there are any split screen scrolling games like that for the NES, if somebody knows any let me know. :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

thefox wrote:I don't think there are any split screen scrolling games like that for the NES
Well, there is Bigfoot for NES, the one most often trotted out as an example of rewriting OAM mid-frame, but after having watched a few video reviews, I wouldn't exactly call that a "game".
Last edited by tepples on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

thefox wrote:I don't think there are any split screen scrolling games like that for the NES
Mappy Kids has split screen scrolling in 2-player mode.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Kreese wrote:Wow nice game! This supports a four score I suppose? It could be the ultimate party game for us NES entusiasts!

Would it be possible to put it on a real cart? What donor cart should be used then?
Check the readme ;)
Kreese

Post by Kreese »

artoh: Sorry for not reading the documentation! It was great. I must make myself a cart of this cool game... Tried it on the PowerPak and it worked fine.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tokumaru wrote:
Mappy Kids has split screen scrolling in 2-player mode.
Cool!
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
artoh

Post by artoh »

tokumaru: I think Worms would be possible on the NES. At least there is a gameboy version of it, which isn't that bad.

Kreese: UNROM donor cart is fine, but I actually start to feel bad for destroying an existing cart:) Four score was tested, but also a famicom-style multitap should work.

arfink: Not sure about the updates. Maybe if one finds a very bad bug from the game.

thefox: I thought of ingame music once, but currently the whole thing is so cpu intense, that I had hard time fitting everything in there already. I should rewrite the whole thing to get music :).

Thanks for testing it out and for the comments. I actually haven't really tried it with over 2 players. I'm interested to know if it is actually playable...
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Destroy Winter Games. All copies of that excrement should be changed into reproduction cartridges.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Kreese

Post by Kreese »

Haven't you thought about ordering some parts from retrousb.com and make some carts and sell them? I know it's quite expensive doing that, but I'm quite sure that there will be people willing to pay for this game! At least I would. :)