Introducing: Super PAKPAK (2-4 player game)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

arfink

Post by arfink »

Well, if you already have a drawer of chopped up NES carts (I do) then it doesn't matter too much if you are using an original cartridge. And yes, Winter Games deserves to die!
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I forget which emulator I used, but I know I had played Tecmo Bowl and Solar Wars with netplay before. I wonder if there's any chance an emulator supports 4-player netplay?
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

I haven't specifically tried it, but nestopia likely supports 4 players online. I know it support 4 pads and have played online with two people with it before.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I tried playing a 2-player NES game online (LJ65 in Nestopia). It was far too laggy to be playable. Wouldn't 4 players suffer from even more lag?
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

I've never hard problems with lag with people and servers close to me. What server did you use?
artoh

Post by artoh »

I tried playing the game with a friend in the next city with Nestopia (I had a kaillera server on my other machine). It worked fine, except my friend complained about the ingame sounds being strange.

I added a page on the nesdev wiki today: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Super_PakPak. Have you noticed, that the game also supports an analog controller (specs on the wikipage). I haven't had time to try it myself :)

If it works fine, there might be even a slight market for a real cartridge bundled with 2 analog controllers with example? The current game binary must be free to distribute, however, because of my contract with the Assembly organization.
tepples

Post by tepples »

artoh wrote:If it works fine, there might be even a slight market for a real cartridge bundled with 2 analog controllers with example?
Arkanoid came with a paddle, and that paddle still fetches a pretty penny on eBay.
Kreese

Post by Kreese »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnYQN7FUVLU

I let the visitors at Kulturkalaset (Gothenburg, Sweden) try the game a couple of weeks ago. They liked it and really enjoyed playing it.
Xious

Post by Xious »

Hi Artoh,

Have you considered directly supporting the Horiatrak? It's the only analogue control (that I can recall) for the Famicom and it can be adapted to work on the NES. The beauty of it is that they are pretty inexpensive...and easily obtained. Sadly, only a few games had software support for using them, and they don't have a digital trackball mode like the CX-80 does, so the selection of games for them is rather limited.

I guess it would be possible to adapt Apple II, Atari CX52 or Atari CX-22 (or even the ProLine TB) controllers to work as analogue devices for your game, but the Horitrak is ideal as it is designed for the FC hardware and requires no adapter to function.
tepples

Re: Introducing: Super PAKPAK (2-4 player game)

Post by tepples »

This game may be included in Double Action 53's multiplayer-only section.

I've been given a copy of the source code so that I can properly reset patch it. I adapted it to my build system with the help of an NESASM to ca65 translator that I wrote in Python, and I want to make sure I didn't make any serious mistakes. So I'd like people to test the attached copy.

Technical specs:
UNROM, 65536 byte PRG ROM
The second half of 16K banks 1 and 2 are unused. I will eventually stuff a couple 8K programs in there.

Xious: Could someone send me an NES-adapted HoriTrak to test with? I'd eventually like to make a single library that works with both Super NES Mouse and HoriTrak protocols.
Attachments
pakpakpakandpak.nes.zip
(22.15 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

I played through the 12 levels on both original release and this with two nes controllers on powerpak and everything tested out ok.

Though I wonder why the data from $1010 to $2010 (ines offset) is shifted over by one byte. Only reason I noticed is I've been recently looking at various ROMs through a CHR viewer.
tepples

Post by tepples »

43110 wrote:I played through the 12 levels on both original release and this with two nes controllers on powerpak and everything tested out ok.
Thank you for testing. Now all I have to do is shove other 8K games into the gaps at $6010 and $A010 (iNES offset).
Though I wonder why the data from $1010 to $2010 (ines offset) is shifted over by one byte.
It's an artifact of the game trying to put 8194 bytes of data in an 8192 byte segment. NESASM is slightly more lenient about this, but ca65 will report a 1- or 2-byte segment overflow.