My Video Blog

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

cartlemmy

My Video Blog

Post by cartlemmy »

I do hope I am posting this into the correct forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sWgzpoXeVg
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Looks pretty good! Haha, I think it's pronounced N.E.S.Dev. NES is an acronym and Dev is like the word development so yeah.....It's weird hearing it called that, but nobody else has every said it so I don't really know? :P

Looks good, the random sprites up top are his head! XD Yeah but jumping and stuff looks great, I like the fast animation, you can make a FAST moving game if it at that speed, that'd be awesome to see. Nice job on it so far, and keep working on it! Looks really fun even there! :P
cartlemmy

Post by cartlemmy »

65024U wrote:Looks pretty good! Haha, I think it's pronounced N.E.S.Dev
Yes, I suppose that does make sense, though it is not the way I hear it in my head. When I open my mouth and pronounce things like MySQL, Linux, lib, gnu, etc... I often butcher it. So be prepared for me to do it more :)
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Haha, will do man. :D
tepples

Post by tepples »

NES alone is "N-E-S", but I tend to contract it in emulator names such as "Nesticle", "Nestopia", "RockNES" (Engrish for "Loch Ness"?), and that emulator named after the Norwegian word for "nearly". So "ness-dev" fits the pattern.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Saying it letter by letter in Portuguese sounds really weird, so I've always said it as a word. Most people wouldn't know what I'm talking about either way... The best way to refer to an NES here in Brazil is "Nintendinho" (little Nintendo), since it was actually released after (or alongside, I'm not really sure) the SNES, so the NES was basically the baby brother. Before that we only used clones.

I was surprised to know that you English speakers called it N-E-S. But I'm used to it now, and in the rare occasions that I need to talk about it in English out loud I do call it that. I have always said NESDev the way cartlemmy did though (although we cariocas use a very forced "s" that sounds more like "sh").
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Haha yeah, us diferent regions have weird thingsl ike that. Not that that is wrong or anything, just hearing it different is really strange :P Pretty cool, though! ^_^
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

I find that I use the pronunciations interchangeably. Nessdev or enn ee ess dev....ness dev rolls off the tongue easier.

Fun video btw. What's the name of your little bearded guy?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I've always pronounced it the same as the main character of Earthbound, or the Scottish lake monster. So I'd never use the word NES with an "an" in front of it.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
cartlemmy

Post by cartlemmy »

Gradualore wrote:Fun video btw. What's the name of your little bearded guy?
Not sure yet, something Japanese sounding probably. Not sure though.
cartlemmy

Collision Detection

Post by cartlemmy »

I've been working on collision detection for my game, and thought I'd give a video update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TRUHckytKM
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Coming along nice! Neaten up the slope detection and tweak the physics and that looks the start to a nice engine! :D
67726e

Post by 67726e »

Interesting video blog. I'm gonna have to keep checking for updates. By the way, what IDE are you using for your coding?
cartlemmy

Post by cartlemmy »

67726e wrote:Interesting video blog. I'm gonna have to keep checking for updates. By the way, what IDE are you using for your coding?
Thanks. I'm using Geany, then compiling with ASM6. ASM6 is running in WINE, as my OS is Ubuntu.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

ASM6 is distributed as C source code, maybe you could build a Linux version with GCC.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!