Boom!

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Boom!

Post by 3gengames » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:12 am

Well after working on it for a few days, I got a LOT added because of that topic that was about bad time layouts. Well, yeah, about 8 hours of work evenly distributed and I changed how the code works alot (To your disgust, everything is now done in VBlank, but I am going to probably change it as I near the end of the project) and I got eneough progress to show it to you guys. Thanks so much, guys. Without all of your help, none of this would be possible. I am putting this on a cart and testing it later, but it should work. Right now it's NROM-128 but it might change if any other games are added.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y7sd54istnv3ds0

Well, tell me what you think. After seeing how much space in the ROM I have, I am probably going to make 20 or so items that drop each level and increase the difficulty a little each level. The game WILL end, but trust me, no everyone will be able to do it. ;)

Yet again.....if this forum didn't exist.....this probably would never be made. Thanks guys. Have fun messing around with this demo.

thefox

Post by thefox » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Is something to supposed to happen in the demo? It doesn't respond to controls.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Must use the paddle controller, and click the mouse.
Then the bad guy just moves to the right and drops bombs. When it reaches the right side, it wraps back to the left.
Not really a game yet.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

tepples

Post by tepples » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Too bad NES paddle controllers run about $40 on eBay, or I might try this on my PowerPak.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:46 pm

If you are taking criticism, I think that the graphics need a serious upgrade. Even if you are not the greatest artist ever, at least you should make better use of what the system has to offer.

The water barrels, for example, have only 2 colors, blue and brown. NES sprites have 3 colors, so why not use the third color to make the barrels look more interesting?

Also, the tiny guy that throws the bombs. Why is he so tiny? It would be so cool if he had a more discernible face with different expressions depending on what was going on... I mean, even in the Atari 2600 version he is larger and more detailed than in your version. If you pay attention, games that were originally on the 2600 and were converted to more capable machines always had added detail. For example, check out these updated versions of River Raid and Keystone Kapers, where the backgrounds have been slightly improved.

Drawing backgrounds on the 2600 is not easy, but on the NES there's absolutely nothing stopping you from drawing an interesting background. Add some texture to that wall (I think it's a wall, at least), clouds to the sky, things like that.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Dwedit wrote:Must use the paddle controller, and click the mouse.
Then the bad guy just moves to the right and drops bombs. When it reaches the right side, it wraps back to the left.
Not really a game yet.

Yeah, it's just a demo. Game stuff to be added after I get all the subroutines in place and stuff laid 100% out.

Tokumaru, I have one pallet left over. I can expand the main character 3 characters wide, maybe even four. Would that be better? And for the bombs, I have a color pallet and then for the paddles I have one color pallet. I have one character pallet left over. I wanted to add a santa clause hat on the guy as a joke, but I guess I could over lap another character over the top two with the water that change for when a bomb hits it and take out the light blue for the bucket hit character and add two other colors, brown and black. Would that be good? Then use the extra 6 sprites to show when water hits the buckets and have four colors of blue to show water and water hit? It will add two colors of brown/tan to show bucket detail and add three colors for water detail. And plus I could also have some water show above the bucket, like the real game.

Yeah, criticism is liked, just don't say it sucks too bad. It's an early alpha. :P

And yeah, I am going to add nice backgrounds later once I get the actual game mechanics done. I have lots of background stuff to play with. :3

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Here's a suggestion of how to make the sprites more NES-like:

With the sprites arranged like that you can easily animate his hands when he drops the bombs, which should look interesting. I really think it's important that you stop drawing things so tiny... Since the basic design of this game doesn't require that many sprites be aligned horizontally, you can go crazy and use larger, more detailed objects. IMO you should even use 8x16 sprites, that way you'll be able to draw a lot of bombs without ever having to flicker anything.

The background obviously needs more detail too, but I don't have the time to do more mock-ups right now. You should definitely try to add buildings and clouds to the top part of the screen, and turn the green part into a wall with missing bricks, graffiti, things like that.

If you like my sprites, feel free to use them, I don't even want credit or anything. If you want to use them for inspiration when drawing yours, no problem. If you hate them, that's OK too, just forget I ever posted them. =)

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:27 pm

:shock:

THOSE LOOK AWESOME. :P

I definitely think I will use those. I'll put them into my game later and animate them later....And every sprite I use, the less bombs will go onto the screen. And that bucket picture is very great too. I am understanding now to get detail by using the same color, just in more conectration, I take it because when the user isn't focusing on it, it just looks like a gradient and not like pixelated images? Dude, I'm so using those as inspiration. I love those. And the animated hands are a great idea too. Thanks so much for those ideas.

You will get credit, like it or not. :D ^_^

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:38 pm

I just did a count, and yeah, 8x16 sprites would be required it seems. The bomb images are great and I love your art. I am going to set it to 8x16 sprites when I get home and work on converting it to them and get my game engine working with them. Wow, when just getting the game working was inspiration, it's now going to look amazing. Thanks, t! :D

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm glad you liked them! =)
3gengames wrote:I am understanding now to get detail by using the same color, just in more conectration, I take it because when the user isn't focusing on it, it just looks like a gradient and not like pixelated images?
Are you talking about the dithering? Because of the way the NES outputs video, the outcome of dithered patterns is somewhat unpredictable. When dithering graphics, it's a good idea to test them on a real NES or at least using the NTSC filter present in some emulators before deciding on the final patterns. I know I had to do a lot of testing until I was satisfied with the dithering patterns I used to shade the walls in my raycaster...

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:28 pm

Well, I want to use your graphics....Are the paddles two pixels wide? If they're bigger, Paddle+Bomb+Bomb2+Splash=9, if not it equals 8 and there's no problem. :P Oh well, if it's bigger then 24 I will have to shrink it down but keep everything else the same. Atleast I select some good colors, my graphics just sucked. I'll go edit the program and graphics and get a new demo out. Thanks.

ALSO:

I have a bug. If paddle is on the very left of the screen, hit detection goes crazy for some reason. I'll fix it later, kthxbai. 8)

HJRodrigo

Post by HJRodrigo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:37 pm

tokumaru wrote:Drawing backgrounds on the 2600 is not easy, but on the NES there's absolutely nothing stopping you from drawing an interesting background. Add some texture to that wall (I think it's a wall, at least), clouds to the sky, things like that.
Biggest change I would do would be to make it look more like he is dropping bombs from the top of a building.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Yeah, I am going to add the background a big brick wall like Tokumaru said. I think thats a great idea and should be fun to add, but I need to worry about getting the sprites changed first and another demo out, then will add some features after it gets pretty much done. :D

Also, if you look at the PPU in the old version, I already have a easter egg....litterally! So, question is...what else should he drop?!?!? :D :roll:

I really want to add a cat, because I joked to my friends I'd make a game called "Super fantastic kittens of fun-filled death" :wink:

cartlemmy

Post by cartlemmy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Looks like good progress, it's nice once your project actually starts doing something game-like. Perhaps you could add an option to use a standard NES controller as well?

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:26 pm

I was thinking controller would be a 2-player option only, where you press left and right, and if you hold down A, you go a little faster, B makes you go a little faster, and then A+b would make you go really fast. One person trying to out-speed the other and keep up would be really fun. It's like in duck hunt when one is controlling the duck, Too much fun! :D

Sound like a good idea? I'd maybe add a 1player mode like that, if it's easy enough to make AI for.