It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 pm 

Kasumi wrote:
Looking pretty good. One odd thing is that you can pause during the game over screen.

It looks odd, but I thought it would be best if you could pause the game in as many locations as possible, especially if there is music playing.

Hojo_Norem wrote:
Is it going to be PAL compatible or am I going to finally have a excuse to import a US machine? ^_^

It is already PAL compatible. The game checks for PAL/NTSC at startup and adjusts music pitch to sound right on both consoles, but there is no compensation for the speed of the music and gameplay. PAL will feel a little more sluggish.

tepples wrote:
If the finished product is as good as these first two missions, I'm pretty sure I'll want the finished product on a cartridge. Is there a place where I can donate, pledge, kickstart, preorder, etc.?

Sorry, none of that. I am surprised people are actually asking for this, though. It's just that money will not help at all (unless it is magically enough to make a living off :P).

Good job Kasumi and Dwedit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:12 pm 

Maybe that would be my only complain, but not a big one so it should be taken as constructive criticism.

The game is great, nothing to say against. the only thing is that it should show you how to use the new features that you received a little bit or explain how to use them. The only reason that I new somehow how to go forward was because I saw the video.

This is why Bregalad mention that he's stuck in level 1. I don't know what would be the best approach to explain but usually some hint from the bird or other character after you receive it could be a possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:42 pm 

Hmm, indeed. I try to avoid relying on text as much as possible, at least when it comes to explaining essential gameplay mechanics. Not just because small kids should be able to play the game, but because not using text is a more elegant solution in many cases.

Did you have problems finding out how the level 2 ability works? I guess not, because it is obvious what you have to do.

The huge problem with the level 1 upgrade, however, is that you can backtrack and go another way with the new ability, get close to the secret door and then wonder why you can't continue. It's not obvious enough you have to punch the block (which isn't any different from the others surrounding it) in the same room you find the upgrade to continue.
Feedback like this is extremely important, so thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:41 pm 

Is the secret area supposed to be Battle Kid hard? Is that what the third mission will look like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 pm 

Dwedit wrote:

teh grammarz, teh picshur no haz dem... i fix:

s/HEY,/Hey!/
s/are not/aren't/
s/get/be/

Otherwise "Hey! How'd you get in here?!" (or if it's in some high-up place, replace the word "in" with "up") would be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:02 pm 

It's indeed very hard, but rather short in return. It exists to please skilled gamers and is intended to be a demo-only thing.

The third level will be completely different.

EDIT:
Hehe koitsu, that's what I get for hiding the place from my beta testers, I guess.

Last edited by miau on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:45 pm 
Formerly WhatULive4

Ian A wrote:
Most excellent! You did a great job in telegraphing what power ups were coming, and when to use those power ups!

TmEE wrote:
I saw one passage that requires being able to destroy blocks on top but could not get into it....

Every passage as far as I know can be accessed in the Demo. Sometimes you have to get creative, sometimes you have to wait till you get a different powerup. Sometimes you have to beat the.... nvm I'm sure you'll find it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 pm 

WhatULive4 wrote:
TmEE wrote:
I saw one passage that requires being able to destroy blocks on top but could not get into it....
Every passage as far as I know can be accessed in the Demo. Sometimes you have to get creative, sometimes you have to wait till you get a different powerup. Sometimes you have to beat the.... nvm I'm sure you'll find it :)
I just hex edited the Y coordinate to get through those blocks you can't fall through. Is there a better way that doesn't involve getting a bunch of bats to follow you into the tunnel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 pm 
Formerly WhatULive4

Dwedit wrote:
WhatULive4 wrote:
TmEE wrote:
I just hex edited the Y coordinate to get through those blocks you can't fall through. Is there a better way that doesn't involve getting a bunch of bats to follow you into the tunnel?
Yea, hex editing :P Wait you said easier than hex editing.... wait for the pogo upgrade in the full version? Bat luring it is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:26 pm 

Just one of those jumpy horn guys get caught in a bubble! Nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:40 pm 

I just made a short play through and the game is indeed very impressive! Like every one had already mentioned.
I'm exceptionally impressed by how well the game memorises defeated enemies (so those damn bats won't respawn immediately like Rockman hell) and destroyed blocks. I found the game manage destroyed blocks a bit too well though, as accidentally sending an exploding bat onto a destroyable platform can force you to do some difficult jumps.
Anyway, congratulation on finishing the demo and I surely am looking forward to seeing the full game! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:41 pm 

How does it remember destroyed enemies? PRG RAM. None of the Mega Man/Rockman games had it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:22 pm 

Yeah, but it may still be possible that they could pay a little more attention to details and used a small fraction of the (tight) internal 2KB of RAM and made the game less irritating to have the enemies not respawning immediately.

It's a common problem for games in that era though, even games designed for the FDS (which at least has more amount of RAM in total, though the memory also has to be used for PRG data) often had this problem, where there shouldn't be that much of an excuse. One particular example is Akamajou Dracula. This makes me think either the programmers were used to programming on simple cart mappers and didn't want to invest much on the potential of the disk system (one example is that few FDS games really used the extra PWM sound channel), or they already expected to release the game in cart format at a later time, either for the western market or a local Japanese version (both happened to Akamajou), at least the FDS version of Akamajou had save game feature though. (Zelda I was a good example, that enemies in a room won't respawn until you have walked several rooms away from it.)

AFAIK Rockman was originally for the FDS too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm 

I just played through the demo and I'm on the extra level. My advice is: DON'T give too many hints as to where you should use power-ups, and what those power-ups do. The sense of discovery of these techniques is half the fun of games like these.

The music is great, play control excellent, graphics atmospheric and cute. It's fab!

HOWEVER: You need more palette swapping of backgrounds between the hub, level I, II, extra, caves.... All orange for every level gets tiresome quickly. Also, how about using the last unused(?) BG palette for other colourful things inside the background, like vines, granite, etc. Look at how Duck Tales does it in the Amazon. As it is, the colours of your levels are a bit flat.

Also, your game has a lot of challenge with the physics engine, but the rest of the game feels sparse and empty. More enemy placement and incidental sprites/graphics would make the game feel less lonely and less of just a physics engine challenge.

I hope you find this criticism useful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next