It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:28 pm 
Formerly WhatULive4

tepples wrote:
I ran the 3rd option through blargg's NTSC filter, and I didn't think it was so bad. The colors are $0C (dark cyan) and $30 (white), and there's enough contrast between the light phase of $0C (which is the voltage for color $00; the dark phase is $0D) and color $30 to keep the text readable.
The problem is a lot of people use LCD screens which distort things MUCH more. One of the competition entries used a single pixel font and it was completely unreadable once upscaled on my 42" LCD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:01 pm 

I find if I set my TV to square pixels it helps the distortion a lot. There is some unused screen area, but it's much easier to actually see what's going on. Playstation games without this setting on my TV looks so blurry it gives me a headache. It looks fine with it on.

This may be referred to as something else on other TV's. It basically forces an integer scaling factor. I figure if my cheap Pnasonic and Sanyo TV's have it others probably will to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:39 pm 
Formerly 65024U

WhatULive4 wrote:
tepples wrote:
I ran the 3rd option through blargg's NTSC filter, and I didn't think it was so bad. The colors are $0C (dark cyan) and $30 (white), and there's enough contrast between the light phase of $0C (which is the voltage for color $00; the dark phase is $0D) and color $30 to keep the text readable.
The problem is a lot of people use LCD screens which distort things MUCH more. One of the competition entries used a single pixel font and it was completely unreadable once upscaled on my 42" LCD.

Also a problem on modern consoles, see the font in Battlefield Bad Company2 for your ammo. Pretty much all the text in that game is ridiculous to make out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 am 

Well I "finished" the demo, and spent about an hour trying to make it through the "extra hard" area (which reminds me of Hell from Cave Story). I made it to the part where there's weird robotic pink flying things pooping sparkling turds and couldn't get past that point. Since you don't encounter those enemies anywhere else in the game, I have no idea how they're supposed to help you get across that huge amount of spikes.

Also, when you go through the door to that room there's no "Checkpoint saved" message, so I was like "oh son of a !@#$% don't tell me I have to do that whole thing over again!!". :-) I wish the player wasn't so "squirrely" with his movement. Sure he moves fast, that's part of the challenge, I get it. But making him slightly less so (just by a smidgeon) would make things a lot less frustrating.

Finally, I notice that when running around in some areas, you can briefly/occasionally see a hint of a sprite (tile?) on the far right side, usually that of a purple bat. Maybe something PPU-related that needs extra adjustment, or maybe that's just how the scrolling works. Dunno. Or maybe it's just been a really, REALLY long time since I've played an actual NES game *laugh*.

P.S. -- I bust out my NES and my PowerPak just to play this thing in its true present-day-yet-nostalgic glory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 am 

Quote:
Well I "finished" the demo, and spent about an hour trying to make it through the "extra hard" area (which reminds me of Hell from Cave Story). I made it to the part where there's weird robotic pink flying things pooping sparkling turds and couldn't get past that point. Since you don't encounter those enemies anywhere else in the game, I have no idea how they're supposed to help you get across that huge amount of spikes.

Same for me (I used savestates to get to this point). No idea how you get past them. And I didn't find the "you're not supposed to be here" room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:06 am 

koitsu wrote:
I made it to the part where there's weird robotic pink flying things pooping sparkling turds and couldn't get past that point. Since you don't encounter those enemies anywhere else in the game, I have no idea how they're supposed to help you get across that huge amount of spikes.

Assuming you're talking about the part I think you are:
Kasumi wrote:
One MUST take damage to complete it.

One must get hit on purpose, then abuse mercy invincibility a lot to pass through the spikes.

Get hit by an arrow from archer 1 on the left. Use mercy invincibility and Sonic's spinball :) to get through the spikes to archer number 2. Get hit again by archer number 2, and abuse mercy invincibility. By then the wall should have been blown up by the flying thing, allowing the first archer to be able to hit you from where he is. Get hit again. etc, etc.

Maybe that kind of solution only came quickly to me because I watch a lot of TAS films. Kinda neat to see it REQUIRED in a game, actually.

If that's not the part, provide a screenshot of the part and I'll spoil all your fun/frustration.

Edit: Or... just watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gafy_9ceuaA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:16 am 

Kasumi, respectfully I understand what you're saying and the advice you're giving. And yes, you have to abuse invincibility as well as the fact that the bats can destroy spikes when killed.

However, the section I'm talking about comes immediately *after* the archers. There are pink flying robot-pig things pooping sparkly turds, followed by nothing but platforms and spikes. You can't jump high enough to reach the robot-pig things (to get hit), so I'm a little confused as to how to proceed past that point. Looks like Bregalad is too. :-) I'm sure it's a n00b thing, but this is the first time in the entire game I've encountered those pig-things, so I don't know if they do something special or what.

I can make a video + upload to Youtube (or somewhere) showing what I'm talking about if need be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 am 

I might've ninja'd you with an edit. There's an entire video showing how to beat the whole thing on youtube. With that existing, I've probably run my course in this topic.

another edit, hopefully not a ninja one: I was talking about the part at 2:54 in the video, but it seems you're talking about 2:46

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:58 am 

Actually I'm talking about 2:17 onward in the video. Now I see how to do it; argh, stupid rolling ball thing... ;-)

EDIT: The nonsense at 2:55 is nonsense. I have been at this part for probably 5 full minutes repeatedly trying to "bounce off" the enemy while being hit, and the invincibility doesn't last long enough to make it past the spikes (it's about 1-2 full seconds short). Is that guy playing a different version of the demo or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:42 am 

Definitely.
I can make it through the first set of spikes by using the sonic-ball while being invinsible, unfortunately this kills the enemy here so I can't get a second hit (a second invincibility) and I'm stuck there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:08 am 

Bregalad wrote:
Definitely.
I can make it through the first set of spikes by using the sonic-ball while being invinsible, unfortunately this kills the enemy here so I can't get a second hit (a second invincibility) and I'm stuck there.

This is how I intended for players to get past this part, actually. You need to stop rolling by pressing left and then jump at just the right moment so you touch the bunny without destroying it. The way Rushjet1 is doing it in the video looks easier, but I haven't tried that, yet.

Like Kasumi, I enjoy TASes and speedruns in general and the tricks people come up with in them. There is an insane amount of hardcore gamers out there who this level is trying to appeal to. Apparently, it's still too easy for many of them. :)
The reward should be worth it. If you absolutely can't beat the secret level you can try slowing down your emulator (+/- keys in FCEUX, Options/Timing in Nestopia).

tepples: The idea of using a proportional font sounds good! Will look into it sooner or later if the dialog box system stays the way it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 am 

I thought the dialog boxes are too small, but then again this ain't an RPG :D They look really slick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:01 pm 

Awesome job, super polished and pretty inventive.

Oh yeah I suck at playing games, but still made it to the second boss cause the music is great :)

Post subject: awesome game
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:33 pm 

Holy crap miau. This game is frigin amazing! It looks very professional and plays great. And, more importantly, it's fun! I'd pay good money if you decided on selling the full version. Major props on your accomplishment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:45 pm 

Any other little secrets? :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next