It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:27 am 

Aw, didn't expect anyone to find the debug room so fast, good job!

More secrets? Apart from the giant bat and the level 3 spirit... Try to collect coins!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:32 am 

Yeah, that one dude comments on how few/many coins you have... come to him with an impossible number and he takes you to task for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:19 am 

Right! That's about all there is, then.
I don't think people have seen all possible messages, yet, however. It's not much, just something I added in last-minute since testers were complaining because there was no use for coins. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 am 

Very very good demo, I've played through it three times, it's one of the best NES games I've played. I'm looking forward to a cart release already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:07 pm 

I just watched the video; I can't play the demo on this computer.

WOW! I'm super impressed. Like some other people, I'd just like to comment on how polished this is. The animation is very fluid, and the physics of the game look very smooth. I really like how you bounce on the slimes, and how you can punch yourself across a gap by punching the wall. These kinds of things make for a really cool gaming experience.

I'm glad to see some more actual progress come from a NESDev homebrew project. Hopefully soon I'll finish the first 1 or 2 levels on my game so I can put it up :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 am 

I can't play it now.*
But video makes me wonder if this is really NES.
Seriously, at first I thought it's a some kind of Cave story sequel.
Everything looks just awesome. Grafics aren't "best"(like kirby,smb3 or FAOD) but it have it's specifing feeling.I can't say much about music(because there's no loudspeakers in library**).
But gameplay looks fantastic.
Congrats :wink:

*Due to costs I had to turn off PC and internet connection to save the moneys.

**I'm using Computers at unversity library

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 am 

I like the graphics a heck of a lot better than SMB3. The color choices alone make it much better.

Some sort of background might be nice though :D The flat black is kinda not right with the rest of the graphics. You could try using a single, very dark brown from your rock palette to make the background more interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:13 am 
Formerly WhatULive4

qbradq wrote:
Some sort of background might be nice though :D The flat black is kinda not right with the rest of the graphics.

Keep in mind that the Roast has transparent eyes. Unless he wants to waste a sprite, black is the best option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:23 am 

Denine wrote:
But video makes me wonder if this is really NES.

Don't worry. It works on NovaYoshi's PowerPak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:51 am 

WhatULive4 wrote:
qbradq wrote:
Some sort of background might be nice though :D The flat black is kinda not right with the rest of the graphics.

Keep in mind that the Roast has transparent eyes. Unless he wants to waste a sprite, black is the best option.

When the main character's eyes are that close together, you can simply use one black sprite for the eyes overlaid on top of the main character. Make it low priority so it's the first one to blink away when there's more than 8 sprites in the scanline.

Super Mario Bros 2 used sprites on top of the rest of the sprite to give them eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 am 

I didn't even notice that he was doing that with the sprites. That's a neat trick :D Well then, never mind. It looks good as-is anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am 

He's not doing that, I was proposing it as a suggestion. He's just leaving the transparent pixels as "black" for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:41 am 

Yeah personally I'm a fan of filled background and sprites with black outlines, I think it just looks more modern. Black backgrounds makes it look like early 80's game. The price to pay is only 2-color for sprite palette (not counting black as a color).

But anyways if this works by all means keep to this formula - to each their preferences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:06 am 

I always found Dark Color and Light Color to be an acceptable compromise when dealing with 3-color sprites. Some games on the GBC (I'm looking at you, Mario Golf) look terrible because their sprite palettes are White, Black, and a single color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 am 

Quote:
This is how I intended for players to get past this part, actually. You need to stop rolling by pressing left and then jump at just the right moment so you touch the bunny without destroying it. The way Rushjet1 is doing it in the video looks easier, but I haven't tried that, yet.

OK I tried that a lot of times it does just not work. Even if I'm able to touch the bunny wihtout killing it the second invinciblity time doesn't even come close to last long enough to cross the second set of spikes, as your main character falls back to the lower set of spikes and I have to jump twice then cross them.

I even tried remain at the bunny's place to get hit a 3rd time (even if this would kill any chances for me to pass the 3rd set of spikes), but even that didn't work as I always run out of times before jumping off the 2nd set of spikes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next