It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:37 pm 
Formerly 65024U

Yeah, that's what I was thinking you did. You can write to the others during VBlank and when done, switch to that and change the other. And with 4 you could upload 4 and just spin all 4 of those. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:39 pm 

thefox wrote:
Another tip: Always make the PRG and CHR bank sizes a power of two, or you may have problems with certain emulators and PowerPak.

Just the .org/bank adresses or do I have to set something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:42 pm 

3gengames wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking you did. You can write to the others during VBlank and when done, switch to that and change the other. And with 4 you could upload 4 and just spin all 4 of those. :wink:

Ok cool. I thought I wasn't allowed to touch $2006 unless in vblank or with bg rendering off. That would have made things a lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:45 pm 
Formerly 65024U

You can, but writing to it during rendering would be bad. [Earlier in the post somebody refferenced another that was "a bad joke," that's a great example of what NOT to do because that's what'll happen when you write to $2007 during rendering. Although writing to $2006 during rendering will also mess with the scroll too] You can disable rendering and write too. As long as your in VBlank you can write to nametables and everything, just switch to it once you write all the data over like 8 frames or something, then switch to it and go back to the other non-displayed nametable and change that. To see what I mean really well, tokumaru's raycasting demo is something you can see it work since it spans multiple frames.

Last edited by 3gengames on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:46 pm 

Dwedit wrote:
Cool, it's NTSC compatible too. Not like some of the other PAL NES intros that weren't doing anything intensive, but were still NTSC incompatible.

Yes, it runs. But it doesn't compensate for speed or resolution. However, it was accidentally run in that mode during the compo by the organizers so it apparently looks good enough. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:56 pm 

Burre wrote:
Would it have been possible to write to the offscreen nametable during frametime?

No, that's not possible (3gengames' "yeah" was not for this question). Even with 4 name tables you'd have only the time of the vertical blank to update them.

I believe that the only mapper that allows you to modify a name table during rendering is the MMC5, when you use its dedicated 1KB of RAM as one. But the MMC5 is a bad choice if you ever plan to produce carts in quantity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 pm 

It is now up on pouet.net (http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=57971)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 pm 

I really love the music :) I had the demo in a loop for about 10 times in a row minimum just to be able to listen to the music while working :)

http://www.speckdrumm.org - Speckdrumm - Austrian Demogroup
http://www.retromagazine.eu - Retro - German Retrogaming Print-Magazine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:12 pm 

It's too bad it violates the "safe area", the sprites are right down to the bottom of the screen, and will probably be clipped on old TVs. New HDTVs don't clip, and instead refuse to display a progressive image.

Edit: I meant on NTSC. I hear PAL doesn't clip anything.