New game - Driar

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Awesome. I appreciate it. What do you mean set the flag to PAL? If it's an absolute address being written and you know the address of the flag we could always use a hex editor to search for that.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Best practice is to detect the TV system at reset and then configure the music engine and gameplay speed based on that.

bigjt_2

Post by bigjt_2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Before I played the game, the thing that stood out was the graphics in the screenshots. They looked very professional. When I played it, though (up through level 20, I think) the thing that started to stand out was your level design. It's really some of the best I've seen in a homebrew. I really liked how you use the wrapping of the screen to get to otherwise out-of-reach places. The one level where you had fall through the floor to get to the platform above really made me grin. I basically liked everything except the music. Sorry man, it was just kind of grating to me. Everything else was awesome, though.

Feel

Post by Feel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 am

Hello there!

Driar is a really great game. Thats why i'm making my ow repro using a Famicom cart (game works perfect) and I wanted to share with you the visuals i'm making for the cart and the boxart:

I don not intend to sell it obviously and it will be presented on my website: CCCProject.fr along with my other repro carts and geeky stuff.

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Your drawing of the enemy from the first level (in the lower left of the cover) looks amusingly/distressingly like Master Shake

edit: of all the stupid brainos to have made
Last edited by lidnariq on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feel

Post by Feel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Well in fact it's based on the other guy from aqua teen hunger force, the one who looks like a cup of soda (sorry, I don't know his name). But if you play Driar, you'll see that there are pink enemies that really resemble a mix of the two (the french fries holder and the cup of soda).

I'm not the author of the drawings, but i've modified them enough so they're not as i got them (ie: the one used for Driar wasn't pink neither did he have a different colored belly and hands). I wanted Driar to have a scared/i-don't-have-a-clue look as i thought it went well with the spirit of the game.

snarfblam

Post by snarfblam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:32 pm

It's Master Shake. I'm assuming that's what lidnariq meant.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:18 pm

I just beat it. Congratulations on a successfully made game; I didn't encounter any bugs, and gameplay was pretty intuitive.

I don't think I'd want to tackle the last few levels on a real NES, but with savestates this was a fun little diversion.

zzo38

Post by zzo38 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Feel wrote:Hello there!

Driar is a really great game. Thats why i'm making my ow repro using a Famicom cart (game works perfect) and I wanted to share with you the visuals i'm making for the cart and the boxart:
Do you have the English text?
[url=gopher://zzo38computer.org/].[/url]

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Apparently I know enough other romance languages to translate it:

"Hello my friends. I'm Driar! Aid me in collecting all the stars strewn around the 38 levels which make this new adventure!
Be careful, however, to not come in direct contact with the enemies, for I am defenseless against them!
Only way to avoid them, I can leave out of one side of the screen and reappear on the other!

Feel

Post by Feel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:17 am

lidnariq wrote:Apparently I know enough other romance languages to translate it:

"Hello my friends. I'm Driar! Aid me in collecting all the stars strewn around the 38 levels which make this new adventure!
Be careful, however, to not come in direct contact with the enemies, for I am defenseless against them!
Only way to avoid them, I can leave out of one side of the screen and reappear on the other!
You got that right ;)

That wasn't any original text from the makers, I just made it up. Thought that was appropriate.

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:47 am

Just in case anyone finds this useful:

Code: Select all

$ uuencode -m driar-to-unrom.ips driar-to-unrom.ips
begin-base64 644 driar-to-unrom.ips
UEFUQ0gAAAYAASEBxGgAE4pIpjKKnWPEaKpgAAECAwQFBgdFT0YK
====
$ crc32 Driar.nes DriarUNROM.nes driar\ ntsc*nes
2c31ce23	Driar.nes
fa0f003c	DriarUNROM.nes
0805c647	driar ntsc.nes
de3b0858	driar ntscUNROM.nes
I played through it entirely and made sure it worked. Only difference is I think the original leaves the game in 1scA mirroring the entire time, but the game didn't obviously use it.

The ips file just patches the routine that wrote to $E000 on the MMC1 with a 8-entry lookup table, saving and restoring the X register, and an indirect write.

Feel

Re: New game - Driar

Post by Feel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:11 am

Guys, here's my own repro of Driar for Famicom: http://cccproject.fr/2012/08/driar-famicom/

Let me know what you think ;)

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm

I went and sliced-and-diced the original game to make it fit into a 64KiB UNROM board. I know jayminer released it as CC-BY-NC, but I went and double-checked it was OK first. The archive includes both the PAL and the single-byte-changed-for-NTSC version. I haven't bothered to use any automatic region detecting code, that's a more invasive modification. edit: Absolutely nothing except padding was removed (and the MMC1 banking code which was replaced with UNROM banking code)

edit2: You should download the fixed UNROM build here or the NROM build here
Last edited by lidnariq on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Sliced and diced? What exactly was cut to fit it into 64K? With the cost of memory being so cheap, I don't see the advantage unless absolutely nothing was lost.