It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm 

Armed For Battle is now available in either a Loose Cartridge or Cartridge In Box!
Details and purchase information is at infiniteneslives.com

The Demo is available at my Development Blog - http://1010howe.blogspot.com/

Tutorials on How To Play (these videos show the new look of the game):

Castle/Kingdom View

Upgrade Screen

World View

Battle View

I am pleased to finally announce my homebrew in development, called Armed For Battle.

Somewhere in the unmapped land surrounding your kingdom, evil rulers corrupted by greed seek to enslave your people. Scout the territory, then send your forces to battle any threats you encounter. With enough gold, you might win them over while avoiding massive bloodshed. Use caution when venturing into the unknown. It is rumored that Dragons and Giants may live somwhere outside the safety of the kingdom.

These older trailers can also be viewed:

Castle View
World View
Battle View

Last edited by rizz1010 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 am 

The MS-DOS font and overly-simple music makes it resemble something made by Colordreams... I think you could improve the music by a lot, just look at what the guys on the Famitracker boards are producing.

Also, keep essential game elements out of the top and bottom 16 pixels of the screen. TVs cut that stuff off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:29 am 

it looks pretty unique, i'll definitely give it a try when it's released! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:32 am 

Strategies are rather unusual genre for homebrews, thisi is interesting. However, graphics and sound (if the sound in the video is from the game) needs improvement. If you can't improve them by yourself, I'm sure you can get help by asking here or at FamiTracker forums. It is easier to get help with music, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:45 pm 

Cool! Something about the gameplay reminds me of warcraft 2, but I haven't played many such games so forgive me if that's way off. I happen to like the music, it is effective and tuneful. I for one don't think that every single game needs to have late-nes-era graphics and euro-chiptunes to be good. A simpler style has its own atmosphere and its own charm. If everyone churned out the same style it would be a very boring scene indeed.

I guess the only thing I wondered about was sound effects, will there be sounds to indicate building, marching, etc. ? That would be neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:56 pm 

Thanks for the replies so far - I appreciate the feedback.

Dwedit - thanks for pointing that out with the edge cutoff. I currently have my graphics starting 8 pixels down from the top and 8 pixels up from the bottom. Later on, I'll probably look into this more, and test it out on several different tv's. For the music, not sure what I'll do yet. I think I definitely am biased - when you hear your own creation coming through the speakers, it's going to sound like gold, but I have seen some mixed comments on it. I actually had a much shorter loop until recently, so you have no idea how many times I've heard that song, and I still didn't grow tired of it. :)

Shiru - yes, the video's sound is from the game, but it might be used for the title screen, rather than the gameplay. I'm curious what you didn't like about the graphics? By the way, I haven't played it yet, but Zooming Secretary looks awesome. Very creative way to translate a busy day in the office over to a game.

GradualGames - congratulations on Nomolos. I've been watching it's progress, and sounds like release is really close. Yes, Warcraft 2 is actually one of the games that had influence on mine. The tricky part was coming up with something that works similarly but with the limitations of the NES. I will be putting some sound effects, for example to indicate when an upgrade finishes. The code is in place for playing sound fx, but the sound data has yet to be made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:20 pm 

rizz1010 wrote:
Dwedit - thanks for pointing that out with the edge cutoff. I currently have my graphics starting 8 pixels down from the top and 8 pixels up from the bottom.

My rule of thumb is to use the visible area of scaled mode in PocketNES for GBA as the safe area: 16 from the top, 11 from the bottom, and 8 from the left and right sides. That's comparable to most CRT SDTVs I've seen, so you should be safe. HDTVs, on the other hand, tend to behave like emulators, cutting off roughly 8 pixels on top, 8 on the bottom, and none from the sides unless you turn on the clipping window in PPUMASK ($2001).

Quote:
For the music, not sure what I'll do yet. I think I definitely am biased - when you hear your own creation coming through the speakers, it's going to sound like gold, but I have seen some mixed comments on it.

The first thing it needs is a volume envelope: volume decreasing over time, or rapidly increasing and then decreasing over time. Even Super Mario Bros. has envelopes, which are more apparent in the instrument used in the water levels but still subtly there in the more common tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:35 pm 

Music sounds just harsh, sort of annoying, and that could easily distract from the gameplay. Tepples pointed out to one of problems, another one is these low pitched intervals with the beats.

Regarding graphics. Beauty aside, the most important function of the graphics in a game is displaying certain objects, so you can easily recognize them. I can't easily tell what is what in this game. It may be better in an emulator, which has perfectly clear graphics, but I don't think it is better on a real TV screen. Other thing is that there is too much green, and most of the other colors are either black or something dark, so green really dominate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:05 am 

Shiru wrote:
Beauty aside, the most important function of the graphics in a game is displaying certain objects, so you can easily recognize them.

In the bottom left, I display information based on the cursor position. This will help anyone new to the game, or will be a quick reminder if a player forgot what something does. In any real time strategy game, there is always a little learning before a player gets used to what certain icons will do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:36 pm 

Any updates?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:53 pm 

Thanks for asking. I'm happy to say that progress has been fairly steady. For a while, I had to revamp some code that could be reduced in size. It would have been great to keep plowing forward, but I just had to reduce a little space.

I have been working on the Overworld of the game, and it shouldn't be too long before I'm able to get another video up. I'm looking forward to showing more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:03 am 

Nice project! Look a bit complicated to control but might just be a false impression from watching the video without playing it. It would be cooler with Zombie though! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:25 am 

I have question - how many bytes takes the core of AI and how many objects you can control with it without much visible slowdown?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 am 

80sFREAK wrote:
I have question - how many bytes takes the core of AI and how many objects you can control with it without much visible slowdown?
Thanks

The AI is not implemented yet. I haven't fully worked out the battle system design, but I have at least 3 ideas in mind for how it will work. Based on the design ideas I have, the AI won't use an extensive amount of bytes. I'm not sure if you meant for variables or for ROM space though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:49 pm 

Variables are your units on the battle field, isn't it? What will be the limit for amount of units?
Core is code to control units. Pure asm or something else?