Armed For Battle - real time strategy for NES

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

80sFREAK

Re: Armed For Battle - real time strategy for NES

Post by 80sFREAK »

No chances - i do live across the pond with surrounding of bamboo and sakura.
rizz1010

Post by rizz1010 »

Battle has begun. I am happy to show a few teaser screen shots, and for those that are coming to Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend, you'll be able to see Battle Mode in action.

CareerOfEvil

Post by CareerOfEvil »

Looks awesome!
rizz1010

Post by rizz1010 »

Trailer #3 is up on youtube.
Now is your chance to see a battle in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEzaI2w_xC0

Feedback is greatly appreciated (hopefully it's positive), whether you comment here, or give a quick thumbs up on youtube. As the video mentions, please subscribe so you'll catch more uploads in the future - I plan on updating more frequently as the game gets closer to completion.

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

I'm not sure whether I figured out what's going on? It looks like you're picking the order in which units go into battle? Looks reasonable...

As an aside, one thing that will help with the clarity of NES videos on youtube is to upscale your input with nearest-neighbor 2x before uploading; otherwise the mpeg artifacts make a blurry mess of everything.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Are the MPEG artifacts any worse than, say, RF artifacts?

Here's what I did for my Rock TV video:
  1. Pad to 280x240
  2. Stretch to 560x480 nearest neighbor
  3. Stretch to 640x480 with linear or better (corrects the aspect ratio while preserving clarity of pixel edges)
Do you use AviSynth? If so, I could help you write scripts to do various sorts of processing.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

tepples wrote:Are the MPEG artifacts any worse than, say, RF artifacts?
This is quite a tangent, but IMO, yes. MPEG artifacts produce high spatial frequency correlated noise and blurring on both axes of both luma and chroma content, especially problematically vertically. NTSC OTA RF demodulation adds a wide variety of (usually) uncorrelated noise sources, and, depending on the receiver, either induces only a minor horizontal bandwidth filter and no vertical filtering, or induces a minor both-axis color filter in exchange for superior luminance bandwidth. (Obvious exceptions: in the Bad Old Days, if you chose the same channel for your NES as some local public TV station was broadcasting)
rizz1010

Post by rizz1010 »

lidnariq wrote:I'm not sure whether I figured out what's going on? It looks like you're picking the order in which units go into battle?
Yes, you have it figured out for the most part. I'll add a few more details. The player will add units to the queue on the left. Once battle begins, the troops will march onto the battlefield, and the player can load up the queue with additional troops. Currently, I have 16 troops max (8 for the player, 8 for the enemy) entering the battlefield. You will also notice that troops enter at different speeds, which is dependant on the type of troop (i.e. catapults will move quite a bit slower than knights).

Thanks for the comment by the way. I've been on this project for quite a while, and sometimes I forget that a new pair of eyes won't know as much about the gameplay. The good news is that I will have a well laid out instruction manual.
rizz1010

Post by rizz1010 »

The instruction manual is in progress, and I wanted to share a sample. I have been hesitant to give out any official release date, but I can tell you that the end is in sight. At the very least, there will be a demo by the end of the year - maybe sooner. If you PM me with your email, I will add you to a list that gets contacted at the time of demo release, cartridge release, etc.

rizz1010

Post by rizz1010 »

I now have a development blog. I'm hoping to add some sort of content weekly - if I have nothing new to talk about, I will add old stuff, which might be scans from when I was designing parts of the game on paper. I used to go nuts over the Nintendo Power articles that had to do with game development, so maybe you'll find this to be cool.

The latest entries in the blog feature a preliminary sketch for the box artwork, and an interview from pixlbit.com.
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

Looks pretty awesome :) Looking forward to this one!
rizz1010

Post by rizz1010 »

The Demo is available at my Development Blog - http://1010howe.blogspot.com/

My youtube channel has 4 tutorial videos that will show you how various parts of the game are played. You will also see the newer look of the game in the videos:

Castle/Kingdom View

Upgrade Screen

World View

Battle View

If you have any additional questions about how gameplay works, please contact me, or you can add the question to the comments section of the video.

Hope you like it!
janzdott

Post by janzdott »

Impressive. I like it. I'm also working on an RTS, but it's for Android.
rizz1010

Post by rizz1010 »

janzdott wrote:Impressive. I like it. I'm also working on an RTS, but it's for Android.

Thank you. I noticed you are from Wisconsin. I've been attending Midwest Gaming Classic, and have shown my game there the last 2 years. I highly recommend this convention if you like video gaming (old consoles, new consoles, arcade games, etc). I'll be there this year too (April 2014).
janzdott

Post by janzdott »

That's cool. I live a couple minutes outside of Madison, so it's that's only an hour drive. Are there people there that would be interested in hiring a programmer? Unfortunately I don't have a degree yet, gonna go to college next year.