It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: YES!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:31 am
Posts: 1
i have been dreaming of this for ages but i have no knowledge on this, why not just use a raspberry pi? 700mhz 256mb of ram , its powered by usb and has hdmi and analog output would be perfect for a low powered nes ,

good luck on this i would defiantly buy one if you plan on selling


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41 pm
Posts: 1161
It is certainly an interesting thing as a DIY project, and would be especially cool as an open source HW/SW project, but I should note that these days there is a ton of cheap Chinese portable consoles (Dingoo, Gemei, Caanoo, Ritmix, and countless others) with emulators, some of them also has TV out. I also recall something similar that had no screen, just a small box with USB and TV out. So if someone just wants a ready-made product, there are existing devices already.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 16
dreamer wrote:
i have been dreaming of this for ages but i have no knowledge on this, why not just use a raspberry pi? 700mhz 256mb of ram , its powered by usb and has hdmi and analog output would be perfect for a low powered nes ,

good luck on this i would defiantly buy one if you plan on selling


I could just use a laptop if all I wanted to do was play NES games on a TV :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 20572
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
runaway pancake wrote:
I could just use a laptop if all I wanted to do was play NES games on a TV :)

You could, but others might not:
  1. Not many people are aware that PCs can display on TVs. They aren't aware that DVI out connects to HDMI in, that a lot of North American HDTVs have a VGA input (which European TVs often give up for SCART), or that SewellDirect.com sells a $30 cable to turn a VGA signal into a PAL or NTSC composite signal for an SDTV. In the mind of the general public, TVs are for living rooms and PCs are for desks and never the twain shall meet.
  2. There tends to be a lot more controller-to-video and controller-to-audio latency in PC-based emulation than there is on an NES. I once measured 100 ms for VisualBoyAdvance on Windows, which made rhythm games unplayable. A single-tasking embedded system could shave tens of milliseconds off this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Posts: 10817
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Honestly speaking, I see little use for emulators that trade accuracy for speed. Today we have very portable computers that can accurately emulate a NES at full speed, just hook those to a TV and NES controllers and you get a relatively faithful experience.

Hardware clones are a different story, because those have the potential to be 100% accurate and still use original peripherals and carts, which I consider a big deal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 16
tepples wrote:
runaway pancake wrote:
I could just use a laptop if all I wanted to do was play NES games on a TV :)

You could, but others might not:
  1. Not many people are aware that PCs can display on TVs. They aren't aware that DVI out connects to HDMI in, that a lot of North American HDTVs have a VGA input (which European TVs often give up for SCART), or that SewellDirect.com sells a $30 cable to turn a VGA signal into a PAL or NTSC composite signal for an SDTV. In the mind of the general public, TVs are for living rooms and PCs are for desks and never the twain shall meet.
  2. There tends to be a lot more controller-to-video and controller-to-audio latency in PC-based emulation than there is on an NES. I once measured 100 ms for VisualBoyAdvance on Windows, which made rhythm games unplayable. A single-tasking embedded system could shave tens of milliseconds off this.


The point was that I'm not interested in buying a SBC, I'm interested in having fun designing an embedded system.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 16
tokumaru wrote:
Hardware clones are a different story, because those have the potential to be 100% accurate and still use original peripherals and carts, which I consider a big deal.


That's probably what I'll start after I "finish" this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 2:41 pm
Posts: 422
Location: Montréal, Canada
That's a cool project (and unusual too). Can't wait to see how it end up. When can we expect an Arduino nes? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41 pm
Posts: 1161
When Arduino turns into Armduino, perharps?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 16
SkinnyV wrote:
That's a cool project (and unusual too). Can't wait to see how it end up. When can we expect an Arduino nes? :lol:


You could probably emulate a 6502 with one, but not much else :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 20572
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Shiru wrote:
When Arduino turns into Armduino, perharps?

By "ARMduino" do you mean the Due? 50 KiB of SRAM, 256 KiB of flash, but I don't know what video output circuits are commonly used with Arduino projects.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group