It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: YES!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 am 

i have been dreaming of this for ages but i have no knowledge on this, why not just use a raspberry pi? 700mhz 256mb of ram , its powered by usb and has hdmi and analog output would be perfect for a low powered nes ,

good luck on this i would defiantly buy one if you plan on selling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:56 am 

It is certainly an interesting thing as a DIY project, and would be especially cool as an open source HW/SW project, but I should note that these days there is a ton of cheap Chinese portable consoles (Dingoo, Gemei, Caanoo, Ritmix, and countless others) with emulators, some of them also has TV out. I also recall something similar that had no screen, just a small box with USB and TV out. So if someone just wants a ready-made product, there are existing devices already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:06 am 

dreamer wrote:
i have been dreaming of this for ages but i have no knowledge on this, why not just use a raspberry pi? 700mhz 256mb of ram , its powered by usb and has hdmi and analog output would be perfect for a low powered nes ,

good luck on this i would defiantly buy one if you plan on selling

I could just use a laptop if all I wanted to do was play NES games on a TV :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 am 

runaway pancake wrote:

You could, but others might not:
  1. Not many people are aware that PCs can display on TVs. They aren't aware that DVI out connects to HDMI in, that a lot of North American HDTVs have a VGA input (which European TVs often give up for SCART), or that SewellDirect.com sells a $30 cable to turn a VGA signal into a PAL or NTSC composite signal for an SDTV. In the mind of the general public, TVs are for living rooms and PCs are for desks and never the twain shall meet.
  2. There tends to be a lot more controller-to-video and controller-to-audio latency in PC-based emulation than there is on an NES. I once measured 100 ms for VisualBoyAdvance on Windows, which made rhythm games unplayable. A single-tasking embedded system could shave tens of milliseconds off this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 am 

Honestly speaking, I see little use for emulators that trade accuracy for speed. Today we have very portable computers that can accurately emulate a NES at full speed, just hook those to a TV and NES controllers and you get a relatively faithful experience.

Hardware clones are a different story, because those have the potential to be 100% accurate and still use original peripherals and carts, which I consider a big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 pm 

tepples wrote:
runaway pancake wrote:

You could, but others might not:
  1. Not many people are aware that PCs can display on TVs. They aren't aware that DVI out connects to HDMI in, that a lot of North American HDTVs have a VGA input (which European TVs often give up for SCART), or that SewellDirect.com sells a $30 cable to turn a VGA signal into a PAL or NTSC composite signal for an SDTV. In the mind of the general public, TVs are for living rooms and PCs are for desks and never the twain shall meet.
  2. There tends to be a lot more controller-to-video and controller-to-audio latency in PC-based emulation than there is on an NES. I once measured 100 ms for VisualBoyAdvance on Windows, which made rhythm games unplayable. A single-tasking embedded system could shave tens of milliseconds off this.

The point was that I'm not interested in buying a SBC, I'm interested in having fun designing an embedded system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
Hardware clones are a different story, because those have the potential to be 100% accurate and still use original peripherals and carts, which I consider a big deal.

That's probably what I'll start after I "finish" this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 am 

That's a cool project (and unusual too). Can't wait to see how it end up. When can we expect an Arduino nes? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:48 am 

When Arduino turns into Armduino, perharps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 pm 

SkinnyV wrote:
That's a cool project (and unusual too). Can't wait to see how it end up. When can we expect an Arduino nes? :lol:

You could probably emulate a 6502 with one, but not much else :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm 

Shiru wrote:
When Arduino turns into Armduino, perharps?

By "ARMduino" do you mean the Due? 50 KiB of SRAM, 256 KiB of flash, but I don't know what video output circuits are commonly used with Arduino projects.