All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Family Picross
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:05 pm 

Looing good!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:16 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
freem wrote:
I use the 16x16 tiles for puzzles from 5x5 to 8x8. Once you reach 9x9 and above, I start to use 8x8 tiles:
Is it at all desirable to make other intermediate grid sizes? I guess the easy one (12x12px) only gets you 9x9 and 10x10 puzzles.

Funny you should say that, as I had tried to make 4x4px tiles work in a much earlier version before I realized it would eat CHR space fast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm 

freem wrote:
Funny you should say that, as I had tried to make 4x4px tiles work in a much earlier version before I realized it would eat CHR space fast.
Hm. 3⁴ + 2·10² is 281, yeah. You could do something awful with timed code to display only the top 4 scanlines of each nametable row and reduce that to 3² + 10² + 10, but that's definitely extra bonus showing-off effort.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 pm 

I know you said 16×16, but I guess that 15×15 may be a good max size - any larger and it starts getting troublesome (don't remind me of the 20×20 and 25×20 boards >_< good those were only at the end)

Also if this matters, Mario no Super Picross got away with the 8×8 tiles for the small 5×5 boards, so if you're in need of CHR space later you may as well just ditch the 16×16 tiles and try to get away with it. It did certainly look tiny though, but then again, 5×5 is already way too tiny for a picross game (so leave it only for the few earliest levels)...

EDIT: eh, the 16×16 tiles are being used in the title screen, so maybe it isn't a good idea...

EDIT 2: also what are you going to do with the music? OK, I know it's just a picross game, but if it's going to have that look you may as well want to give it awesome music that fits =P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 pm 

Sik wrote:
I know you said 16×16, but I guess that 15×15 may be a good max size - any larger and it starts getting troublesome (don't remind me of the 20×20 and 25×20 boards >_< good those were only at the end)

I share your pain, having convinced myself to play some of the 20x20 levels in Picross DS recently.

Sik wrote:
Also if this matters, Mario no Super Picross got away with the 8×8 tiles for the small 5×5 boards, so if you're in need of CHR space later you may as well just ditch the 16×16 tiles and try to get away with it. It did certainly look tiny though, but then again, 5×5 is already way too tiny for a picross game (so leave it only for the few earliest levels)...

I mainly chose the 16x16 tiles at the lower levels for better visibility. IMO, the 8x8 tiles are very small and would leave too much negative space on the playing field. (plus, too lazy to redraw the screen for each puzzle size right now :D)

Sik wrote:
EDIT 2: also what are you going to do with the music? OK, I know it's just a picross game, but if it's going to have that look you may as well want to give it awesome music that fits =P

Good question. For the demo, I plan on doing nothing. :(

I've got a friend who's pretty good with Famitracker, and he made this .nsf for me after playing an earlier demo. :) Hopefully the final version will have this and other tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:27 pm 

Demo #1 is now available!

There's a manual as well, but it needs to be fleshed out quite a bit.

Please report any bugs/oddities you find.

p.s. I realize that at least two of the puzzles in Normal mode aren't exactly "Easy" difficulty. You'll know which ones they are when you play them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:04 pm 

Two complaints I have:

1) When going back to the level select the cursor is back to the first level, so in order to go to the next one you need to smash the ↓ button several times, which gets annoying. It would be better if the cursor was placed back in the last level that was played.

2) Level 7 is ambiguous. Both of these solutions are valid (only the first one is acknowledged by the game):
Code:
X . . . X
. X . X .
. . X . .
. X . X .
X . . . X
Code:
. X . X .
X . . . X
. . X . .
X . . . X
. X . X .
There are other combinations by mixing the different quarters from those two (for a grand total of 16), but you get the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:13 pm 

Sik wrote:
Two complaints I have:

1) When going back to the level select the cursor is back to the first level, so in order to go to the next one you need to smash the ↓ button several times, which gets annoying. It would be better if the cursor was placed back in the last level that was played.

Will be fixed in next release; already made the changes:
hg commit -m "Make cursor display on the last level played in Normal Mode's level list"

Sik wrote:
2) Level 7 is ambiguous. Both of these solutions are valid (only the first one is acknowledged by the game)

Congrats, that's one of the two levels that I figured would cause troubles (level 5 being the other one). I'll probably end up ditching puzzle #7, since it only makes sense when you complete it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:23 pm 

I just tried the demo, it looks nice! Congrats.

I was annoyed by the level select cursor too, nice to know this is fixed.

And I was troubled by puzzles 5 and 7 having multiple solutions too, and also some in random mode, which is even more of a problem, since you have a probability of loosing a life point. And I guess puzzles with multiple solution can be really annoying with bigger grids, even in normal mode.

I know the DS Picross game has a puzzle editor that can check if a puzzle has a unique solution or not, so you might want to look into that.

Anyway the random mode is a very nice idea, it's really fun, beating records makes you make mistakes, nice!

I guess the only thing I would add is a way to enter a name or initials at some point to claim bragging rights for records.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:47 pm 

Wow, a very solid piece of game!
I, too, had problems with Levels 5 and 7.
Nevertheless, I like it.
Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 pm 

Just wanted to say it look very professional. I wish there was more cute stuff to look at on screen though!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm 

Level up to CNROM!

I need to make a better logo, but I'm pretty happy with the title screen as a base. :)

Got bored with the old main menu, so I changed it up a little with some of the new tiles.

Yes, I will be looking into other issues (puzzle generation, etc) too ;)

No idea on a release date.

edit: Converted the Random menu over to the new tileset as well:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:15 am 

Call me the outlier, I liked the old graphics more =/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:16 pm 

I would love to see a finished product of this title, or at least the last demo you made. I love these types of games, I own them for Gameboy, SNES, and Neo Geo Pocket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:39 am 

coming eventually...

(this didn't convert to gif very well)