The Legends of Owlia

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

GradualGames

Re: The Legends of Owlia (updated 12-19-15)

Post by GradualGames »

Thanks dougeff & Banshaku---demo has not changed.
Myask

Re: The Legends of Owlia (releasing 3-31-16)

Post by Myask »

Did I miss the release?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Myask wrote:Did I miss the release?
You haven't missed the release. There was a limited run auctioned on NA to help raise money for someone, but the general release has not happened yet.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I'm looking forward to it. This game looks incredible and I loved the demo.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I'm currently working on my own retro console game and I can say that its pretty much a miracle that hobby games even get finished. So good job with all your hard work.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

This is looking great! Except Startropics, i get a strong Ys vibe from it, which is really nice. It captures the sense of adventure well, and i look forward to exploring the whole world. Well done!

A few things came to mind, though:
-The trigger area for the great owl to appear in the forest is kind of easy to miss. I think it needs to be expanded as this is the very beginning of the game and players may be unsure exactly what to do, despite hints in town.
-Monsters drop 'health seeds' so often that chests feel kind of redundant. A minor tweak may help, even if it raises difficulty a little. This side effect could be mitigated by longer invincibility after hit time, if needed.
-I'm not too sure about having to swap the owl's attack for utility, or having to swap utilities for the sake of keeping at least the basic rush. Could perhaps every other move involve a 'basic' rush instead?
-I agree with Bregalad, specifically in one case. The own sweeps have a lengthy sound effect, and so i think it needs a bit lower volume.
-Rooms that lock until enemies are defeated should IMO do this only once per dungeon visit. Then the room should be opened for the remainder of the time while being in the dungeon. You could probably fit every bit needed in a temporary byte, if manipulating level data isn't an option.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Thanks for the kind remarks, guys, and for the feedback. Unfortunately the game's already done! As mentioned above, there was an auction on NA for a LE and soon there will be an SE. I tend not to plug commercial selling of my games, here, though, as I don't think that's allowed. The game is done and you will be able to find out about it at my website, www.gradualgames.com, or gradualgames' Facebook or Twitter, when the SE is released.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

GradualGames wrote:I tend not to plug commercial selling of my games, here, though, as I don't think that's allowed.
Why wouldn't it be allowed? There are a lot of people here who would like to know when your game is released.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

rainwarrior wrote:
GradualGames wrote:I tend not to plug commercial selling of my games, here, though, as I don't think that's allowed.
Why wouldn't it be allowed? There are a lot of people here who would like to know when your game is released.
I'd like one. I had no idea that the NA auction was going on.
Memblers
Site Admin

Re: The Legends of Owlia (SE coming out late May '16)

Post by Memblers »

I'm sure people would get mad about ads and people selling random stuff unrelated to the forum topics. But NES stuff, homebrew games commercial or not, are totally relevant to the forum. :)

I'm really looking forward to Owlia.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

It seems the overall zeitgeist of this forum has changed for the better in recent years; (with respect to selling games) that makes me happy. I'll announce the SE here when it comes out, as well as on NA. :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

And it's generally friendlier when it's your own game that you're selling, rather than a reproduction of some high-rarity commercial-era game.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

Yay! It's on the way!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Yay!! Congratulations on this feat! :beer: