The Legends of Owlia

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Guilty

Re: The Legends of Owlia (SE coming out late May '16)

Post by Guilty »

Cheers, GG! I'm glad I came back to this thread on release day. Ordered and eagerly anticipating!
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Congratulations for releasing your game!
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Congratulations for the release.

I know it feels GREAT to have made your dreams come true (I know you've been envisioning this game since you were a boy). Congrats for that, as well.
Guilty

Re: The Legends of Owlia (available at INL)

Post by Guilty »

Okay I feel like an idiot but what is the first thing you're supposed to do in this game? I read both bookcases. Am I missing something? The dang forest won't let me leave.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Thanks guys! Guilty: Look for things that kind of stand off on their own and go up to them. Hope that helps :)
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Congratulations on releasing the game.

This week I was able to play through The Legends of Owlia and the overall structure of the game actually felt a bit like Nomolos but with a top-down perspective instead of a side scrolling platformer. I hardly paid attention to the existence of money as I pretty much killed everything in sight to make sure I didn't miss a chest with a key. The one puzzle that took the longest for me to do was the snowball puzzle, and that was because I stubbornly didn't follow the advice of the guy in that area. For the last two dungeons, I kind of failed to find the puzzle clues, so I ended up brute forcing all the puzzles in those places. I found the hints for the last dungeon after second glance through all the areas.

I know reporting bugs are a bit late for a game in production like this, but while playing the game I did find what I think are 2 bugs. If you try to use your bomb while 2 bombs are on screen, your inventory still depletes despite no bomb being thrown (likewise with lanterns). In the switch room of Mermon's fortress, if you kill both enemies before pressing switches, the bottom right switch stops functioning. After that I reverse-engineered the password coding, and actually found a crashing bug with certain passwords that have invalid amounts of GP.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Thank you sir!
Light-Dark

Post by Light-Dark »

Played the demo and I'm definitely buying this soon! Congrats on the release :D!
Myask

Post by Myask »

Oh, right, this came out. *adds to to-buy list*
Guilty

Post by Guilty »

Replaying this, and I have to say the thing that stuck with me the most is the music. Especially the forest and tundra themes are my favorite tunes in the game. The small things in this game that are counter-intuitive really drive me insane, but if someone told me this was released when the NES was alive I'd believe them. It more than gets by on its merits, and it really is a joy to play.

I'm also a big fan of the puzzles. The very first puzzle with the anglerfish stands out to me as being really unique and fun.
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

As the website says it is inspired by Zelda II and Star Tropics which were two of my favorite NES titles! I know I am a bit late to the party but I am about to place with inl.com and glad I found this thread. I will definitely have to add this to my cart in addition to my other products.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Guilty wrote:The small things in this game that are counter-intuitive really drive me insane.
There were two moment that I got really stuck, like figuring out to stand under the tree to summon the owl near the beginning.

So... after I finished it, I figured Owlia could use a GameFAQs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/194045-the- ... faqs/73690
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

rainwarrior wrote:
Guilty wrote:The small things in this game that are counter-intuitive really drive me insane.
There were two moment that I got really stuck, like figuring out to stand under the tree to summon the owl near the beginning.

So... after I finished it, I figured Owlia could use a GameFAQs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/194045-the- ... faqs/73690
If I could tell my younger self: "Some day, you will make a game that will be so popular, somebody will make a GameFAQ for it." I would not believe it. Haha! I am honored.
GradualGames

Re: The Legends of Owlia

Post by GradualGames »

The Legends of Owlia is now up on Steam Greenlight! Please give it an upvote! The Legends of Owlia Steam Page
calima

Post by calima »

Spill tech details here, since it's a tech forum?

Someone else's Steam NES port was a Unity remake, which is absolutely not what I'd do. From the comments you mention a VM?