It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 am 

Looking great. Reminds me of StarTropics.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:42 am 

Thanks thefox. Glad you saw the Startropics influence...definitely one of the inspirations for this game. Not gonna do the grid jumping thing, though, heh. The owl does feel a bit like the yoyo. However---it'll do more than just that throughout the game. BTW, Streemerz is great---I've been playing it on the Action 53 multicart. I was very impressed with how much detail you put into the gameplay and animation of the main character. Great job!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 pm 

Of course her owl is a barnowl named Tyto. :)

Uh, let's see ... Snowy, Barn, Great Horned, ?, Great Grey, Saw-whet.
That last one looks just like this picture on wikipedia, but it's hard to tell anything beyond "horned owl in winter plumage"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:14 pm 

Yeah, this is awesome! :) Love the Startropics feel to the dungeons.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:39 am 

I had completely missed this until recently, it looks like an awesome project !

The only thing I don't like so far is the sound effects which are very weird. And it definitely looks very similar to Star Tropics.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 am 

How do you plan on doing the feelies? StarTropics included a letter that had to be dipped in water to reveal a code to unlock half the game. Metal Gear Solid for PS1 had a similar puzzle with a Codec frequency on the back of the box. Now that homebrew uses flash memory instead of mask ROM, you can actually have a different frequency for each cartridge.

[jab]
But so long as you don't do like Zoda's Revenge and make the sequel into product-placement for a famous video game whose designer is known for antipathy toward the open source community, it's fine.
[/jab]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:59 am 

The owls are gorgeous in the intro, you guys did a great job with them!

I like the idea of an owl for a weapon, very original.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:23 pm 

Thanks for the additional comments and kind words, guys! Updated the OP with the following video:

Before and after dungeon exits video 2-16-14:
Dungeon Exits: Before and After

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:03 pm 

Updated OP with teaser trailer and demo rom link. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:14 pm 

Reminds me of a cross between Crystalis and Startropics.

Beat demo. (Then went back and talked to all the townsfolk. How shameful.) Then noticed owl hooting outdoors...?

Preliminary note: It's your game! Isn't that great?

Comments:
  • Unskippable copyright splash? Really? At least it's not like lately where there're twelve.
  • And one-speed text.
  • And pickup fade.
  • And two meaningless digits of gold, because 100 is the smallest you pick up.
  • Looks quite good...except for that Q being on a different level. (And the J, looking at the pattern table.)
  • People might contrast a little TOO much with the background. It does make it easy to see everything 'active' though, which is nice.
  • On contrast...key-locked doors are too similar to non-locked.
  • "Use・health" requires some thinking to get. But only a little. (Stuff a tutorial into one of the townsfolk for it.)
    • On that note, you can't see your health on the pause screen at all!
  • Standard rooms feel a little cramped.
  • The sword is rather poor, particularly facing south. I expect this is by design (aside from the south bit).
    • On second attempt focusing on sword, it's not unusably bad...but it's obviously worse than the owl-rush.
    • The delay between actions makes it kind of pointless to try using some other owl command alongside the sword.
    • Still, it being stuck on one button with all these neat owl commands on the other...I'd rather be able to unassign the sword and just have Rush be on one button.
    • On owl command-switching, being able to pick only two (with "rush" being one that's pretty much not gonna ever be unselected) is a bit cramping. It reminds me of the difference between Wii and GC Twilight Princess-the third selectable item meant twice as much variety, because one was always going to be stuck on the dungeon item. (And here, it's Rush, because you really don't want to use that sword.)
  • Chests are finicky and require pixel-correct alignment to open. If you're not aligned, it'll push you away from correct alignment, which makes it hard to open them.
  • Dungeon door requiring gold...does not say how much gold is required. Or why, since it's an OWL blocking our path...?
  • Fetch is too slow to get more than one thing from pickup fade unless you do it immediately.
  • Bug? : Perhaps because it was embedded in a wall, fetch did not pick up a lantern.
    • (unable to replicate, even with "in-wall" items)
  • The chest just south of town respawns, but for those that don't...make sure that opening it and leaving before Tyto returns with the loot doesn't count.

Obviously-partially-implemented features:
  • Passwords
  • Bombs
  • Lanterns
  • Money

oh gods is this just a huge Kaepora Gaebora/Awakening-owl thing (/joke)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:22 am 

Liked it a lot, great job!

As for critique:
* Would be nice to be able to skip the dialogue, or at least speed it up. Mainly because you might talk to the same people multiple times by accident, or simply don't remember whether you have talked to some of them.
* I experienced the same problem with lining up to crates as Myask mentioned. I think the "push" feature is good in general, because it makes it easier to navigate without getting stuck in walls, but maybe it should be disabled for the crates.
* If possible, you might want to try to add a few more landmarks to the forest to make it easier to remember where you have been so far. Although I didn't have any major problems with it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:20 pm 

Thanks for the truly excellent and constructive feedback, Myask and thefox. Really appreciate it. A lot of the feedback corroborate my own feelings. Some things I'll be able to fix before release, other things I'm either okay with for other reasons or simply won't have time for...that's how it always goes! You learn by finishing projects.

One interesting comment is some of the features which appear partially implemented are actually fully implemented in the full version. Can't show off all of the game in the demo!

The two useless digits of GP as you correctly observed actually give me an extra level of validation for the password system. If the GP field is not a multiple of 100, the password is invalid. Prior to constraining GP to have this smallest increment, it was too easy to enter a random password and have it whisk you to some random part of the game!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:47 pm 

We're getting really close to releasing this game. See the OP for cover art. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:28 pm 

Thumbs up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:14 am 

Didn't follow for a while and saw the trailer. Good job, looks great!

Did the demo rom changed since last time? Will give it a try again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next