It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:04 pm 

If the init code or the controller reading code or certain nametable drawing code came from a library owned by Nintendo, this may affect a game publisher's right to distribute its own game on a non-Nintendo platform. But given Konami's release of the Castlevania and Contra compilation for PC, this isn't likely to pose a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 am 

Zelex wrote:
Denine wrote:
Holy s...., are you serious?!
I mean, it doesn't even sound real for some reason...
I mean...NES emulator, on. on sony ps4. I mean, approved. Will nintendo not do anything about it?
I'm clueless about lawsuits, so sorry If I'm making no sense.

I haven't yet signed the contracts. As written Sony owns EMUya and anything else we develop on the PS4 out-right, for free. So, I can't sign the contract they want. However, assuming that we can get the contract issues worked out, yes, it should happen. Also, I'm not sure if they will approve EMUya if it allows side-loaded ROMs. I'll try, but I can't guarantee success. However, all the home-brew games will be available :)

I didn't hear about this aspect of indie development from Sony. Might hurt their "we're the opposite of Microsoft" image if everyone knew they took all your rights away as a developer.

I could only assume that they would consider anything loaded under the EMUYa wrapper theirs too. This would be a problem as one of my games is based off of a movie which I personally do not own the rights to (just permission to use).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 am 

slobu wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Denine wrote:
Holy s...., are you serious?!
I mean, it doesn't even sound real for some reason...
I mean...NES emulator, on. on sony ps4. I mean, approved. Will nintendo not do anything about it?
I'm clueless about lawsuits, so sorry If I'm making no sense.

I haven't yet signed the contracts. As written Sony owns EMUya and anything else we develop on the PS4 out-right, for free. So, I can't sign the contract they want. However, assuming that we can get the contract issues worked out, yes, it should happen. Also, I'm not sure if they will approve EMUya if it allows side-loaded ROMs. I'll try, but I can't guarantee success. However, all the home-brew games will be available :)

I didn't hear about this aspect of indie development from Sony. Might hurt their "we're the opposite of Microsoft" image if everyone knew they took all your rights away as a developer.

I could only assume that they would consider anything loaded under the EMUYa wrapper theirs too. This would be a problem as one of my games is based off of a movie which I personally do not own the rights to (just permission to use).

The sad part is I think this is their default contract that they make everybody sign. I've had two lawyers look it over and say the same thing. He also said that he didn't think that was in the spirit of the contract, but since the words of the contract quite literally actually do say that Sony owns it if there ever was a conflict you'd be sure they would use that against you and you should not sign it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 am 

But then one of the services that lawyers offer to businesses is drafting an amended counteroffer that more closely represents the spirit of the contract.

ObNES: I seem to remember that one of the reasons that the FDS died was that Nintendo's FDS contract was discovered to be similarly overreaching, but Wikipedia editors can't seem to find a citation for this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 am 

As far as I can tell, you still may be able to do something which isn't normally allowed by the Ouya contract as long as the program isn't distributed on Ouya, for example if it is on PDROMS. Of course this may not be suitable for many purposes, but it exists in case someone does need to do that, for example if someone makes some open-source NES/Famicom emulator for Ouya that can load external ROM images, it may be distributed on something else and the user will need to know how to install external software (although I believe documentation for doing this is provided, although it is probably more difficult than installing official software anyways, but I suppose that's OK).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:14 am 

tepples wrote:
But then one of the services that lawyers offer to businesses is drafting an amended counteroffer that more closely represents the spirit of the contract.

This is not one of those situations, I assure you ;) The entire contract is very one sided.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm 

Sorry guys. Sony says the terms of the contract are non-negotiable - even after climbing the ladder and talking directly to Adam Boyes who is the head of the indie department. I can't in good conscience support a console company whose motives are questionable. They seem extremely anti-indie friendly the moment you step out of the PR and into reality. Their contract has many statements of varying 800 pound gorilla tactics severity, and I simply can't put my company and ultimately my family at risk for the sake of EMUya.

Quote:
All Next Gen Materials, all inventions and developments that utilize or incorporate Next Gen Materials and any derivatives of Next Gen Materials are the sole property of SCEA

That means that anything we ship on the PS4 Sony owns (including your games maybe even). There are also terms in the contract which will quite literally bankrupt myself for life would worst cases (which are not impossible by any stretch) happen.

On the up side, Amazon is releasing a console this year as well. Their console is much more open, so I intend to ship EMUya on it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 pm 

Zelex wrote:
Quote:
All Next Gen Materials, all inventions and developments that utilize or incorporate Next Gen Materials and any derivatives of Next Gen Materials are the sole property of SCEA

Out of curiosity, how does the contract define "Next Gen Materials"?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 am 

Zelex wrote:
On the up side, Amazon is releasing a console this year as well. Their console is much more open, so I intend to ship EMUya on it. :)

And even before that, the Kindle Fire HD has Bluetooth, so you could probably whip up drivers for PS3 and iCade 8-Bitty controllers and toss EMUya on Amazon Appstore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:38 am 

It's too bad the Ouya has controller lag like crazy. It doesn't only affect EMUya, but any fast paced game. At least for me. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 am 

Is it controller lag, or is it Android's well-known problem with audio lag plus the fact that TVs tend to have more lag in general than computer monitors? The real problem is that OUYA forces HDCP on its HDMI output, which interferes with several lag-killing solutions I could think of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:46 am 

thefox wrote:
Out of curiosity, how does the contract define "Next Gen Materials"?

Quote:
any hardware, software, business plans, information or materials disclosed or made available to Company and related to the next-generation, non-handheld computer entertainment system

Essentially, anything and everything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:49 am 

tepples wrote:
Is it controller lag, or is it Android's well-known problem with audio lag plus the fact that TVs tend to have more lag in general than computer monitors? The real problem is that OUYA forces HDCP on its HDMI output, which interferes with several lag-killing solutions I could think of.

My TVs has a game mode which improves lag dramatically for me. You should check your TV too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:04 am 

My Vizio VX32L is on game mode, but there's still a bunch of lag. On the OUYA main menu, for example, I can switch between PLAY and DISCOVER, see the highlight move, and hear the sound effect a quarter of a second later. Another problem is how to report emulation errors without being able to record and send video due to HDCP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:15 am 

tepples wrote:
My Vizio VX32L is on game mode, but there's still a bunch of lag. On the OUYA main menu, for example, I can switch between PLAY and DISCOVER, see the highlight move, and hear the sound effect a quarter of a second later. Another problem is how to report emulation errors without being able to record and send video due to HDCP.

I have a movie ("replay") recording system built-in to EMUya. If you send me one of those files, I can easily repro errors :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next