Does a list of available tools per console exist?

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
Banshaku

Does a list of available tools per console exist?

Post by Banshaku »

When it's about nesdev, I know most of the basic tools (cc65, asm6, nesasm, etc) but I have less knowledge about other platform. I started by checking for the sms on smspower and the tools shown seems not much like wla-dx only, which seems odd. It could be possible that it's the only one but my gut feeling tells me otherwise.

So my question is, is there a list somewhere that show which tools can be used with X platform? For example tools for gb/gba, genesis, pcEngine, sms and other possible console? It doesn't matter if it's for linux, windows, mac, any information would be good. If it doesn't exist, to create such a list would be great.

I hope someday to write some basic sample on every platform (not really game, just experiment how to program on it) and such a list would be quite useful. Maybe just accumulating that information in this thread and aggregating later would be a good idea too. I don't remember of such a thread on nesdev but I could be wrong.

Adding things that are not tool (reference to docs, other editors) would be nice too.
freem

Re: Does a list of available tools per console exist?

Post by freem »

I wrote up a list of tools that can be used for Neo-Geo development, though it probably needs updating.

Recommended links for various platforms: and a lot more out there that I'm missing.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Have you seen Sebastian Mihai's website? It's really awesome:
http://sebastianmihai.com/ccd/
It's not a list of tools, but rather he's made a small game for pretty much every console. Every one of them includes source code to the game, as well as the SDK and all other tools used, all configured to build the source.

I played around a bit with the 3DO SDK, what's funny is I have to hide it from my virus scanner, because it thinks it's super dangerous or something (it's from 1993, yeah I'm totally sure it's just been waiting to infect my system :roll:).
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@freem

Some neogeo related links, thanks! As for sms, I was not aware of devkitSMS since they don't talk about it on the development page. I think I will just create an account there and ask more question on the subject.

@Memblers

I was not aware about that page. This is an interesting site actually. A lot of samples for many platform, like that! All kind of platforms.

So we have neo geo and some C samples for multiple platform now. Of interest is more about the gameboy and pce. Snes is of interest too.
tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous »

Some of the info is kinda old:
On the other hand, it expects source code to follow the old ANSI C standard, with the crazy function definitions with the types of their arguments specified between the argument list and the function block.
HuC, the C compiler on PCE is not standard ANSI C but something else (I forget the name). But recently it's been completely revamped, up to C90 for some stuffs, and huge speed increases for compiled code (with lots of optimizations switches).