Neo Geo to Atari 2600 Controller Adapter

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
Super-Hampster

Neo Geo to Atari 2600 Controller Adapter

Post by Super-Hampster »

This is a pretty simple project. I hand wired a prototype and it works fine. It does require modding the Atari to bring Reset and Select to an external connector. For my prototype I just used TRS audio jacks for that. Once that's done it's connected to the adapter so that Start and Select on the controller serve as Reset and Select. I did this for a few reasons. First of all even though the Atari 2600 was my first ever system I've been playing with a D pad since 1985. After all this time it's how my brain knows how to play games. Secondly I wanted to make it convenient to get to Reset and Select without having to reach over to the console. Also the Reset and Select buttons on my 2600 jr are aging and work poorly. I chose the Neo Geo controller because they work in the same manner and really only require a pinout mod. Now I can sit back and play with a Dpad and don't have to get up and reach over to the Atari to press reset and select. I'm fine with the hand wired prototype, but here are some simple PCB's I have on OSH Park in case I want to do it again.

I made a video too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8yyBfNLjhY

Memblers
Site Admin

Re: Neo Geo to Atari 2600 Controller Adapter

Post by Memblers »

Pretty cool. I was planning on making a controller for my 7800 sometime, but I hadn't considered modding the reset and select buttons like that, I might have to steal that idea. 7800 games don't rely on those as much, but I do play enough 2600 games on it.
Super-Hampster

Re: Neo Geo to Atari 2600 Controller Adapter

Post by Super-Hampster »

Yes. The 7800 Buttons work a funky way or I might have made it compatible. I'm sure it will work fine for 2600 games though. On a side note the external power and ground are completely unnecessary. I added them on the off chance there is a special Neo Geo joystick that needs more power.