Z80 emulator debugging help

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
Near
Founder of higan project

Z80 emulator debugging help

Post by Near »

My go-to for debugging new CPU cores has been Mednafen trace logs from boot and comparing to my own.

Unfortunately, Mednafen doesn't support debugging the Z80/SMS =(

Given that, can anyone recommend resources I can use to try and iron out bugs in my Z80 core? Preferably something that doesn't need a fully functioning SMS VDP core, and doesn't require a really solid core just to even boot. As this is a brand new core, it's going to have lots of really major issues.

Ideally I'd like to just generate a trace log from the first instruction of playing Sonic the Hedgehog for the Master System, and then step through it against my own trace log one instruction at a time. But from-reset tracers aren't very common, and it'd be a lot of work to add a Z80 disassembler to an existing emulator I'm not familiar with.

Any help would be much appreciated :D
ccovell

Re: Z80 emulator debugging help

Post by ccovell »

MEKA has a debugger, but I don't know how hacker-friendly it is. It seems more gamer-friendly than anything.

MESS supports the SMS and has a pretty thorough debugger/logger, IIRC.
tepples

Post by tepples »

If all else fails, you could make like calima and debug the emulator. Either natively, or by running the game in SMSAdvance in a debugging GBA emulator.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Oh gosh, came into the thread over a month late, oh well.
Try Emukon.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!