So I was bored this afternoon...

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
Bregalad

So I was bored this afternoon...

Post by Bregalad »

And I decided to port a couple of FF7 songs to the Sega Mega Drive using Deflemask. The Mega Drive's chip is definitely weird and interesting, some things are ridiculously easy to do and others almost impossible. I like to cheat and use a single 4-op instrument to simulate 2 2-op instruments, in order to get more channels.
What do you guys think ?

EDIT : Changed the song according to comments (see below).
Attachments
ff7_md.zip
(42.94 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Last edited by Bregalad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainwarrior

Re: So I was bored this afternoon...

Post by rainwarrior »

Nice.

I liked FF7REACTOR the best of these. The timpani + drone orchestration works very well.

In FF7PAROCHIAL I wish the glassy keyboard sound had a longer presence; the attack portion of the sound is really good, but it seems to fade off really quick to me.
calima

Post by calima »

The sound pretty nice, but Parochial and Reactor seem to do something wrong - at some point they end up playing one single note for eternity (on multiple Genesis emulators, I made a ROM with these since I don't have any VGM player). For Parochial it sounded like an organ and for Reactor it was noise.
snarfblam

Post by snarfblam »

Plays fine in VLC. (Sounds good too!)
thefox

Post by thefox »

Not bad! (Thanks snarfblam for the tip that VLC plays .vgm.)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

rainwarrior wrote:Nice.

I liked FF7REACTOR the best of these. The timpani + drone orchestration works very well.
Thanks.

In FF7PAROCHIAL I wish the glassy keyboard sound had a longer presence; the attack portion of the sound is really good, but it seems to fade off really quick to me.
That's because I was lazy to insert some keyoff events. But I now fixed it. It's actually very touchy, I only reduced the decay by 1 and it already makes a lot of difference - reducing by 2 would make it fade too long.
at some point they end up playing one single note for eternity
Maybe that's a problem with Deflemask' VGM export ?
Sounds good too!
Thanks !
calima

Post by calima »

Could be Deflemask allows you to do things the hw won't allow? You mention cheating, maybe it was that? (No, I don't understand what 4-op and 2-op mean)
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

calima wrote:Could be Deflemask allows you to do things the hw won't allow? You mention cheating, maybe it was that? (No, I don't understand what 4-op and 2-op mean)
I doubt. "Cheating" means abusing the chips to create 5th chords with a single channel, and I'm pretty sure the hardware allows that.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I've done exactly that sort of "cheating" for just-intonation perfect fourths (3:4 frequency ratio) and perfect fifths (2:3 frequency ratio) in TFM Music Maker. Use the algorithm that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Mod1]->[Car1]--.
                |
               (+)-->[Out]
                |
[Mod2]->[Car2]--'
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's algorithm 4.

This will produce intervals so long as the ratio between the "multiple" values for carrier 1 and carrier 2 is something like 2:3 or 3:4. To ensure the same timbre for both voices, make the ratio between the "multiple" values for modulator 1 and carrier 1 the same as that for modulator 2 and carrier 2. Then you can make major, minor, or suspended triads and their inversions by using this instrument on two channels, with carrier 2 of the second channel muted.
lazygecko

Post by lazygecko »

Bregalad wrote:
calima wrote:Could be Deflemask allows you to do things the hw won't allow? You mention cheating, maybe it was that? (No, I don't understand what 4-op and 2-op mean)
I doubt. "Cheating" means abusing the chips to create 5th chords with a single channel, and I'm pretty sure the hardware allows that.
The principle behind FM, 4op FM in this case, is that one FM "voice" is actually made up out of 4 different sinewave voices that can be connected in a variety of algorithms. You can string together 4 in a row to create more complex sounds, or you can have them in pairs of 2 which sacrifices complexity of timbre in favor of either "baked" harmonies (similar to sampled chords), or detuned unison/chorus layering.

A few existing games do this to get around the 6 channel limit for harmony. Thunder Force IV uses a bunch of different instruments/patches with different intervals like fifths, fourths, major/minor thirds, etc. These are then combined to create those juicy 4 tone chords at the expense of only 2 channels.

Now, a much less used "cheaty" yet fully hardware supported trick is to sub-divide FM channel 3 and control each operator independantly, so you can effectively treat that as 2 separate 2op channels which is a lot more flexible than relying on static, pre-programmed intervals in different patches.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

I also did some music. This is NES + VRC6. I'm planning on making a YM2612 version and SPC700 version too.
new adventure.ogg
(675.63 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I'm getting intense Super Monkey Ball 2 "Bubbly Washing Machine" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlPrvJx3epk) vibes from that. I don't know if this is by coincidence or what.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Your version of the Reactor theme honestly sounds better than most stuff I've heard in actual MegaDrive games. Amazing production.
TiagoSC

Post by TiagoSC »

Hello friends, I'm new here, sorry for the bad English, I did a version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Sakura Theme (psx remix) for sega genesis VGM.
Attachments
SFZ2sakuraMD.vgm
(102.59 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

@TiagoSC: Hey, it's a very nice start !
Your version of the Reactor theme honestly sounds better than most stuff I've heard in actual MegaDrive games. Amazing production.
Wow thank you uut it's really just a port I did quickly without thinking much about it. It doesn't even use any tricks like the other two song does to increase the # of channels, it simply uses arpeggio on PSG channel.
I also did some music. This is NES + VRC6. I'm planning on making a YM2612 version and SPC700 version too.
Ok, personally I find the song to be rather bland, and not very memorable. It doesn't seem to even use much of the VRC6 features and could almost be a 2A03 only. Not that I like to bash your work, but I'd rather be honnest and give negative but constructive feedback rather than lie and say I like it.