Multiplatform 2D games with reworked levels

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
psycopathicteen

Multiplatform 2D games with reworked levels

Post by psycopathicteen »

I know Earthworm Jim has a little bit more stuff on the sides of the screen on the Genesis because of resolution differences. Do any games actually rearrange the levels to the levels to fit on a smaller screen?

The only time I remember this being used is Kirby's Super Star using 24x24 tiles to recreate Kirby's Dreamland's 16x16 tiles on the Game Boy.
lidnariq

Re: Multiplatform 2D games with reworked levels

Post by lidnariq »

Most of the Pac-Man ports adjusted the maze to accommodate the (widely varying) target hardware. This was often seen as a flaw, tho.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Other than the early 8-bit home computer and Atari ports, almost all of the home ports use the same wonky maze as the NES / MSX / Game Boy versions, or are at parity with the arcade.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Yeah, ok, "most" is overstating it.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Early LCD Tetris games had a 6-cell-wide matrix (Nintendo Tɛtris watch) or an 8-cell-wide matrix (Tetris Jr. keychain) instead of the standard 10. Tetris for Game Boy was cut down from 10x20 to 10x18 instead of using line interrupts and the scroll register to cut off the bottom scanline of each block. The Pro 200 had the full 10x20 matrix, but The Tetris Company had imports of games based on the Pro 200's MCU seized at the border.

Dr. Mario for Game Boy was cut from an 8x16 matrix to 8x15, while Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle Challenge was cut from 6x12 to 6x9. The matrix in Dr. Mario for GBA is even smaller, at 8x13, though the Puzzle League port on the same Game Pak has the standard 6x12 matrix.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

Any platforming games?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Toki had nearly arcade perfect ports to Amiga and Atari ST.

The NES port of Toki was very tastefully (IMO) adapted to the limitations of the NES while retaining a very similar feel and flavour to the original.

The Genesis port of Toki (subtitled "Going Ape Spit", ugh) had a complete level redesign.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I always though Going Ape Spit was a sequel?
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

The Game Boy Bubble Bobble seems to be identical to the arcade game level-wise but it has added boss levels, cut-scenes and a different story as it's a one player only game. The game has all-directional scrolling to fit in the levels on the small screen. OK so this one actually has added content, I guess that wasn't what you where looking for.

The Rockman World series are basically Game Boy ports of the NES series and mostly reuses the NES bosses, but it has totally redesigned levels and mixes bosses from usually two different NES games. Physics are also slowed down to work well on the small screen.
It's technically its own (apparently non-canon) series, but the earlier games was designed more like pared down ports.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Zoop is 18x14 on Super NES, Saturn, and PlayStation, 20x14 on Jaguar and PC, 20x12 on Genesis, and 16x14 (with visually widened play lanes) on Game Boy and Game Gear.

I think Columns is taller on Game Gear (6x16 to 6x18 as far as I can tell) than on Genesis (6x13). Columns Crown for Game Boy Advance is 7x11.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Sumez wrote:I always though Going Ape Spit was a sequel?
It's not. It has the same story, and more or less the same level progression and bosses, mostly the same music.

Aside from the levels there's a bunch of arbitrary changes, like no G'n'G style map between levels, characters renamed, etc. It's really bizarre to me... the only explanation I could think of is that they had a mandate to make the game longer, which meant making new levels anyway? (Personally I found the Ape Spit levels pretty boring by comparison.)
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

I remembered hearing that the Playstation 2 version of Ys III had nearly every scene shrunk/cut-into-sections so that there was almost no scrolling, for whatever reasons. That version was considered inferior in every single aspect compared to the 8/16-bit counterparts anyway.