Tect Toy not using level shifters??

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
tepples

Re: Tect Toy not using level shifters??

Post by tepples »

tokumaru wrote:Stuff that belongs to someone else is already not available anyway
Destructive projects inhibit the ability of someone else to sell on the hardware once he or she is done with it.
tokumaru wrote:Are you saying that if people weren't doing these crazy/destructive projects they wouldn't be buying this hardware, meaning there'd be more of it available for traditional use?
That too.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

There's a distinct difference between selling poorly designed cartridges that may very well damage consoles of unknowing buyers, and doing whatever you want with your own property.

That said, wide spread conversion/destruction of hardware that's no longer in production can and does affect others by means of prices. Depending on your perspective that affect on price can be good, bad, or moot, but you can't easily deny it's existence.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Speaking of bad quality cartridges, did anyone here notice the ridiculous warning at the bottom of the page for the recent re-release of Street Fighter II?
WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”. Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product.
How does anyone even sell something like that, specially at that price point?
infiniteneslives

SF2 30th anniversary was released using my boards. They're properly level shifted and everything. The caution caught me off guard as well. I guess it was supposed to be about 'vintage' console hardware being untrusted, not the carts..
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
thefox

Post by thefox »

Yeah, although I can see that they were trying to simply cover their asses in case of unlikely things happening, they worded it in an extremely bad way: "Use of this reproduction game cartridge ... may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire."

It's a little surprising to me that warning is still up there given how much confusion it caused.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Yeah sounds like the intentions were a "don't dry your pet in the microwave" clause, but it came out poorly.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Capcom is:
  • A former Super NES licensee
  • A licensee on current Nintendo platforms
  • Producing unlicensed software for an obsolete Nintendo platform
It makes me wonder if Nintendo requires Capcom and others in a similar situation to give such a warning.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

infiniteneslives wrote:SF2 30th anniversary was released using my boards.
Oh, I didn't know that! Man, what a bad way to word that warning then... If I was considering buying a cartridge I'd totally change my mind if I saw that on the product's page. I'm glad to know they aren't selling crap, though!

What about the upcoming Mega Man releases, are you involved with those as well?
infiniteneslives

tokumaru wrote:
infiniteneslives wrote:SF2 30th anniversary was released using my boards.
Oh, I didn't know that! Man, what a bad way to word that warning then... If I was considering buying a cartridge I'd totally change my mind if I saw that on the product's page. I'm glad to know they aren't selling crap, though!

What about the upcoming Mega Man releases, are you involved with those as well?
Thanks, yeah we're handling the boards for megamans as well.
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

tepples wrote:Capcom is:
  • A former Super NES licensee
  • A licensee on current Nintendo platforms
  • Producing unlicensed software for an obsolete Nintendo platform
It makes me wonder if Nintendo requires Capcom and others in a similar situation to give such a warning.
The aforementioned Mega Man cartridge releases don't have similar warnings on their product pages, so I doubt it.

Plus, that's such a specific and uncommon combination of factors that I can't think of a single other developer it would apply to at this point. I doubt Nintendo really has any reason to care about it (considering they don't even seem to care about people mass-producing repro carts of games that they don't own the rights to...)
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

thefox wrote:"Use of this reproduction game cartridge ... may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire."
I've loooked at it with a grain of salt.
I originally tought it was some kind of (bad?) joke, them I found that 3v ICs can burn your console and them found that Iinfiniteneslives properly made the boards.
infiniteneslives wrote:Thanks, yeah we're handling the boards for megamans as well.
I'm glad to know that at least one manufacturer is doing the right thing! :-)
Power to you man!!! :beer: