DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system.
Robz8
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by Robz8 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 am

nocash wrote:The SWI functions in BIOS are a bit slow, but they should be stable. And, especially, they shouldn't freak-out in relation to the L-Button. That sounds more like a feature that is actually behaving different when pressing the button - or some timing problem where the button handling is affecting some unstable timings (or memory caching, or maybe triggering a button-irq, or whatever).

Do you have some idea if the problem is in your own code, or in unlaunch, or in official firmware, or whatever other software you are executing?
My code looks fine. Nothing seems wrong.
nocash wrote:What args do you mean? The parameter at 2000000h, or the titleid at 2000300h, or the unlaunch filename at 2000800h... or yet something else?
I'm referring to the unlaunch filename at 2000800h.
nocash wrote:Btw. somebody mentioned missing sound in some games above, and that you (?) had said that it's problem in unlaunch. Do you know what is wrong there?
My guess is that the sound disable code for the System Menu is affecting some games as well.

nocash
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 pm
Contact:

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by nocash » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Robz8 wrote:My code looks fine. Nothing seems wrong.
I'm referring to the unlaunch filename at 2000800h.
Okay, so it's your code, passing parameters to unlaunch. That shouldn't be affect by L button.
And you Draining the write buffer and Cleaning the cache lines before rebooting? Especially if you were writing 2000800h from ARM9 side.
Robz8 wrote:My guess is that the sound disable code for the System Menu is affecting some games as well.
That is simply forcing the volume in low byte of SOUNDCNT (4000500h) to zero.
But that's done ONLY when using Launcher... and my understanding is that the sound DOES work when using Launcher.

Hmmm, I seem to be actually leaving SOUNDCNT uninitialized in unlaunch, but if it's working with Launcher (with the force volume=00h patch) then that would rule out needing the volume setting. And launcher does to zerofill 40005xxh before starting games, so the games can't rely on needing nonzero values in there.

werdy
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 am

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by werdy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:08 am

nocash wrote:
ederenzi78 wrote:
Voodoo wrote:Have the same "you have discovered unknown old firmware version" when try to install unlaunch 1.8 on japanes 1.4.5J. Is there will be new version of unlaunch ?
Yes, I'll try to get around to release something without that message next days.
I have exactly the same problem. Is there any progress about this (or how to bypass the date checking code)?
Thanks for your efforts!

nocash
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 pm
Contact:

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by nocash » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:22 am

Released update http://problemkaputt.de/unlaunch.htm

v1.9 - 28 Apr 2019
- wifiboot: supports DSi-wifi SDIO hardware with WPA/WPA2 and faster transfers
- updated unlaunch.htm webpage and how-it-works screen (hotkeys, bootcode.dsi)
- no$gba: fixed wifiboot uploader (without nocashio for wifi) (no$gba v2.9c)
- detects MMC cards in SD/MMC slot (upon failed APP_CMD during idle state)
- initializes 2FFFCFAh wifi channels (for dsdownloadplay and pictochat)
- added lowercase font, hotkeys: removed experimental dpad up/down hotkeys
- displays title from icon/title (if any, instead 12-letter cart header title)
- removed unknown firmware warning (wasn't working, and v1.0J is now known)
- filesys/speedup: uses 1-sector fat cache for faster next cluster look-up
- filemenu: also shows files with .srl extension (in case anybody uses that)
- hotkey config: new options include keep (no change) and none (ignore hotkey)
- forces pub/prv savedata size zero for NDS titles loaded from SD/MMC

werdy
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 am

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by werdy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 am

nocash wrote:Released update http://problemkaputt.de/unlaunch.htm
- removed unknown firmware warning (wasn't working, and v1.0J is now known)
I can confirm, that it is working now :) Thanks again!

Trash_Bandatcoot
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 am

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by Trash_Bandatcoot » Fri May 03, 2019 2:42 am

Be reasonable folks, Unlaunch v1.9 deletes the System Settings icon from your real NAND. I'm on v1.4.5E, for anyone wondering.
Better wait for Unlaunch v2.0, I guess...
Attachments
Unlaunch is missing the System Settings as well (besides one on the bottom, which is from my SDNAND)
Unlaunch is missing the System Settings as well (besides one on the bottom, which is from my SDNAND)
NAND without System Settings
NAND without System Settings

werdy
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 am

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by werdy » Fri May 03, 2019 3:17 am

Trash_Bandatcoot wrote:Be reasonable folks, Unlaunch v1.9 deletes the System Settings icon from your real NAND. I'm on v1.4.5E, for anyone wondering.
Better wait for Unlaunch v2.0, I guess...
Checked and it is not missing on my system (1.4.5j). Are you sure, that it was Unlaunch v1.9? What actions did you do before you realized that your icon is missing?

nocash
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 pm
Contact:

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by nocash » Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 am

Trash_Bandatcoot wrote:Attachments: File comment: Unlaunch is missing the System Settings as well (besides one on the bottom, which is from my SDNAND)
That looks as if the whole system settings ".app" file is missing on your console. The browser and flipnote seem to be missing, too (if you did have had them installed).

There shouldn't be anything in unlaunch that would be reading (and least writing/destroying/deleting) the missing file (except of course, the filemenu is reading the filename and title string, but that shouldn't be harmful).
I would also assume that the problem was caused by something other than unlaunch. Either by some tool that you have used recently. Or, if it was caused by FAT corruption, then the root of the problem may lay years back, and just didn't trigger issues until now.

You can probably find out more if you dump/decrypt/scandisk the console's emmc memory. Finding out what has happened when & why may be more difficult (unless you can install an intact backup, and then reproduce the problem somehow).
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty

Trash_Bandatcoot
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 am

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by Trash_Bandatcoot » Fri May 03, 2019 7:56 am

werdy wrote:
Trash_Bandatcoot wrote:Be reasonable folks, Unlaunch v1.9 deletes the System Settings icon from your real NAND. I'm on v1.4.5E, for anyone wondering.
Better wait for Unlaunch v2.0, I guess...
Checked and it is not missing on my system (1.4.5j). Are you sure, that it was Unlaunch v1.9? What actions did you do before you realized that your icon is missing?
I've got reports that it does not happen on 1.4.5J, but someone else on GBAtemp has the same issue. Before this, it was still there, I'm 100% sure.
I'll dump the NAND later today, and I can always recover using an older version of TWtool- let it be risky.

Trash_Bandatcoot
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 am

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by Trash_Bandatcoot » Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 am

nocash wrote:
Trash_Bandatcoot wrote:Attachments: File comment: Unlaunch is missing the System Settings as well (besides one on the bottom, which is from my SDNAND)
That looks as if the whole system settings ".app" file is missing on your console. The browser and flipnote seem to be missing, too (if you did have had them installed).

There shouldn't be anything in unlaunch that would be reading (and least writing/destroying/deleting) the missing file (except of course, the filemenu is reading the filename and title string, but that shouldn't be harmful).
I would also assume that the problem was caused by something other than unlaunch. Either by some tool that you have used recently. Or, if it was caused by FAT corruption, then the root of the problem may lay years back, and just didn't trigger issues until now.

You can probably find out more if you dump/decrypt/scandisk the console's emmc memory. Finding out what has happened when & why may be more difficult (unless you can install an intact backup, and then reproduce the problem somehow).
Yeah, speaking of Flipnote and the DSi Browser, I reset my DSi Shop data, which caused those to get deleted, but that happend a long time ago. My DSi was modded around that time (luckly).
My theory is that something happend to the tmd. The DSi menu checks before starting up every time if the tmd's are correct. If they aren't, these apps will be automatically deleted. However, that's still weird considering Unlaunch never touches the system setting's tmd. I'll ask more people around that have the same issue.

nocash
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 pm
Contact:

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by nocash » Sat May 04, 2019 11:32 am

Did you already dump the emmc? The tmd files aren't needed for unlaunch, but, yes, if the launcher deletes app files, that would affect unlaunch. Did you do something like starting a US version of launcher/settings on the EU console? Maybe that would result in deleting non-US file(s).
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty

Trash_Bandatcoot
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 am

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by Trash_Bandatcoot » Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 pm

nocash wrote:Did you already dump the emmc? The tmd files aren't needed for unlaunch, but, yes, if the launcher deletes app files, that would affect unlaunch. Did you do something like starting a US version of launcher/settings on the EU console? Maybe that would result in deleting non-US file(s).
I did not have any time today and I forgot about it in the meantime. :/ If I don't forget to dump the NAND tomorrow, I'll check the emmc as well.

Trash_Bandatcoot
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 am

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by Trash_Bandatcoot » Sat May 25, 2019 10:39 am

I'm sorry for being dead for SO LONG, feel free to hit me with a shovel.

Anyway, I took a look at the NAND with fuse-3ds and OSFMount and the entire folder was gone. But I realised something...
A month ago, a cartridge named "SystemUpdater" got found with a bunch of .tad files which can be used on TwlNmenu. What I tried to do is install the System Settings .tad which was the matching one. For whatever reason, it came up with a -2011 (it has to do something with the tickets, they're devsigned I believe). I didn't realise at that point that the System Settings got deleted, and right after installing v1.9, the missing icon catched my eye.

How did I find this out? Another friend of mine tried this on his DSi and he lost Pictochat, also landing on a -2011. That made me realise how it happend.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I was wrong yet again!

User avatar
Apache Thunder
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by Apache Thunder » Mon May 27, 2019 10:24 am

When/if 2.0 Unlaunch gets released....please support directories in your file browser. I have like hundreds of SRL files spread out all over my SD card and they ALL appear in the main file selection menu. So it takes me ages to find something I need to boot if I need to use Unlaunch to run it. :P

The directory view thing could be an optional thing you can enable. So that one doesn't have to use it if they don't have many files on SD. But since I have a bunch of homebrew SRLs and a full SD Nand install (similar to HiyaCFW but I handle the photo partition a little differently) there's just way too much stuff to sift through in Unlaunch's file menu.

zoogie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: DSi unlaunch (bootcode exploit)

Post by zoogie » Mon May 27, 2019 12:17 pm

Hey @nocash ,
Just want to let you know that many more people are now going to install Unlaunch due to a major new DSi exploit being released.
It's called Memory Pit and it exploits the DSi Camera's pit.bin file.

It works on every DSi, every region. (Edit 6-14-19: yes I regret making this previously false claim, but I made it come true ;p)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/memory-pit- ... ra.539432/
Last edited by zoogie on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply