It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Genesis flashcart
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:02 am 

Are any Genesis flash carts currently in production? I remember reading about one a long time ago that was rather clunky looking, could only hold a few games, and had a parallel port in the back for the connecting it to a PC. It would be nice have something more along the lines of the user-friendly Powerpak and SNES Powerpak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:15 am 

Everdrive-MD, NeoMyth MD, MD Pro (ToToTek's), and some other that I don't rememeber right now. A lot, I'd say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:18 am 

There's also the MegaCart.
But I'd get the Everdrive or NeoMyth if I were you since they don't require a parallel port. If you want the cheapest cart with SD-card support then the Everdrive is your best choise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:05 am 
Formerly 65024U

Does the Everdrive have 4 or 8MB of ROM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:15 am 

Wow, I didn't think I get such a quick response! Nor did I expect there to actually be any decent, non-parallel port SEGA flashcarts. Sweet!

So it looks like its a toss up between Everdrive and Neomyth.
But is there anyone here with experience in dealing with either product that could tell me which plays Genesis/Megadrive games more accurately? I find it hard to believe that both carts support every Genesis game as they claim to. Also, am I correct in understanding that both carts support SEGA CD and 32X without needing the actual peripherals? That...can't be right, I think. :?

Thanks again, guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 am 

That is incorrect. Both carts cannot play Sega CD or 32X games if you don't have those addons. I would go with the EverDrive cartridge if you can find it. Now nearly every game works. But there are some exceptions for games that use serial eeprom saving. I don't think any cart supports those. Games that use this method like Mega Man Wily Wars and one of the Monster World games have been hacked to use SRAM and work fine. There is a NBA game that uses it and I think someone hacked it to run though it won't save.

The EverDrive supports loading other region Sega CD BIOS roms which I'm not sure the Neo does. The Neo can have FM support in Sega Master System mode but not the EverDrive. I think the Neo costs alot more because you have to buy the cart and the SD adapter where as the EverDrive has a built in SD slot.

I really like the EverDrive and I'd say it's the best MD flash cart there is and probably best that ever will exist. It's cheap too if you buy the PCB only and put it in your own Cartridge Case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:20 am 

I'm not too keen on the idea of having to supply my own MD cartridge, or cutting a hole for the SD card for that matter. :P

BUT--after a bit of searching, I found the Everdrive-MD Deluxe Edition:
http://stoneagegamer.com/everdrive_deluxe.aspx

According to the website, its Rev. 2.5. Is that the latest version, or would I have to order the PCB to get the newest one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:11 pm 

NESter wrote:

According to the website, its Rev. 2.5. Is that the latest version, or would I have to order the PCB to get the newest one?

What I don't get about that site is that they have Firmware Update "coupons" for it. Does that mean the only way to get updates is through them and only twice in one year, max? Not through the original author?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:25 pm 

shawnleblanc wrote:
NESter wrote:

What I don't get about that site is that they have Firmware Update "coupons" for it. Does that mean the only way to get updates is through them and only twice in one year, max? Not through the original author?

Yeah I found that confusing as well. You'd think that updating the firmware would be a simple matter of downloading the newest files from the author's website and just replacing the ones already on the SD card. I don't understand what this "coupon" business is all about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 pm 

There are two parts to the PowerPak firmware: the initial bootloader and the part that sits on the card. I imagine that the EverDrive firmware is like the former.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:30 pm 

The EverDrive has a hardware Firmware and also a software OS. Updating the firmware needs a cheap USB device for it. But for the Genesis at this point there is unlikely to ever be a need to update it. For the N64 there is. OS updates are simple and don't require anything special.

Whether you buy it with a case or not, the EverDrive MD is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:17 pm 

Looks like I'm buying an Everdrive MD then! I seriously can't thank you guys enough! :D