It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 am 

tepples wrote:
There exist plenty of generic map editors. They work for any game whose underlying world model is essentially a 2D array: the converter just has to understand the compression scheme that the game engine uses. They don't work for games that have an object-based world model like SMB series, where a converter would have a much harder time recognizing arbitrarily placed objects optimally.

I wouldn't undervalue the use of a specialize editor for tilemaps and tiles; as very few tile map editors take into account multiple palettes, tile priorities, or tile flipping.

A tool like GBMB/GBTD, for the Gameboy Color, makes the process of creating maps and tiles easy and avoids having to hard code in platform specific features. With current tilemap editing tools, you either have to somehow divide the palette of an image manually (and then write tools to take this into account) or limit yourself to a single palette per tilemap.

http://www.devrs.com/gb/hmgd/gbmb.html
http://www.devrs.com/gb/hmgd/gbtd.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 pm 

I think a new replacement for Open tUME for multi-console use is useful, such features like:

Plugins (to use any format)
Palette Editor
Nametable Editor
Map Editor
Sprite Editor
Graphics Editor
Import/Export
etc...

This could be actually a useful revamp of a Project that Tepples is doing!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:16 am 

For PC text mode you can use MegaZeux, save a 80x25 layer-mode MZM, and the format is very simple to convert using another program (just cut off the first 16 bytes and load the rest into the PC video memory). You can also add the header to another file to be able to load it with MegaZeux in this way. (Note: MegaZeux has 8x14 font support, not 8x16.)

My own version of MegaZeux allows you to save a MZM of this format from what is currently displayed on the screen, by pushing SHIFT+F12. I also wrote a program to convert MZM to ANSI screens, in case you want to put it on a BBS screen or whatever else.

Last edited by zzo38 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:35 pm 

ZZO: I am talking not only PC, but multi-system as well (like Master System, Super Nintendo, etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:08 pm 

Hamtaro126 wrote:
ZZO: I am talking not only PC, but multi-system as well (like Master System, Super Nintendo, etc.)
I know. 8tools allows making the pattern tables for multi-systems (but only 8x8 tiles), but can make name tables only for NES/Famicom (while Famitile is only for Famicom). I was just mentioning what I know about PC. You could use converters; however, it would seem that since different consoles have different features, you should need different programs for each one, unless you can somehow make a generic interface which accepts multiple features, but that might be difficult. Also, do you want to add sprites on?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:34 pm 

I guess I can use the Nametables to just prototype stuff for now, then I'll convert them into respective data, and modification aspects will also be applied too.

Just more hard work for me, I guess!