It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:29 pm 

Does anybody find it amusing how a lot of arcade games from the mid to late 80s had badly drawn graphics compared to the arcade games released a couple years later?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:59 pm 

Yes, has anyone ever noticed some Konami games like Contra, Super C, and Aliens have really really poor colour contrast? Did they have malfunctioning monitors or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:15 pm 

Arcade C and Super C simply have such low contrast graphics by itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:34 pm 

Whenever capabilities increase, such as 1 to 3 to 15 colors or 8 to 16 to 32 pixels on a side, it sometimes takes a few years for art styles to adapt to the new capability. Compare Balloon Fight to Kirby's Adventure, for instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:30 pm 

Quote:
Whenever capabilities increase, such as 1 to 3 to 15 colors or 8 to 16 to 32 pixels on a side, it sometimes takes a few years for art styles to adapt to the new capability. Compare Balloon Fight to Kirby's Adventure, for instance.

That is exactly what I was thinking. When it came time for the SNES and Sega Genesis, developers got used to dealing with higher color palettes so you didn't see the weird colors and bad contrast you saw on mid to late 80s arcade games.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:27 pm 

psycopathicteen wrote:
Does anybody find it amusing how a lot of arcade games from the mid to late 80s had badly drawn graphics compared to the arcade games released a couple years later?

Some examples (screenshots) would have been nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:44 am 

http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/568362-n ... den/images

Don't know what you're talking about, OP.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 am 

thefox wrote:
psycopathicteen wrote:

Some examples (screenshots) would have been nice.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:21 pm 

Arrgh, not the Ninja Gaiden arcade game! That game is a disgrace to the franchise. It's even worse than the PC-Engine version.

Data East used to make some pretty ugly games in general (but they could still be fun to play). Except for Magical Drop III - which has pretty decent graphics - most of their games look like they hired children to draw their graphics. That's not to say that I can draw any better.. just that their graphics artists weren't any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:21 am 

I heard from a guy who did (arcade) games in the 80's that bright bland colros were supposedly catching people's attention more and publishers specifically asked games to have such crappy low contrast coloring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:19 pm 

mic_ wrote:
Arrgh, not the Ninja Gaiden arcade game! That game is a disgrace to the franchise. It's even worse than the PC-Engine version.

Data East used to make some pretty ugly games in general (but they could still be fun to play). Except for Magical Drop III - which has pretty decent graphics - most of their games look like they hired children to draw their graphics. That's not to say that I can draw any better.. just that their graphics artists weren't any good.

Magical Drop III was a pretty decent game for its time, and had some pretty good artists in my opinion. Then again, it wasn't that early of a game so I guess it doesn't apply to this thread :P