It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: ROLL BOSS RUSH (PSX)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 am 

This is a little homebrew project of mine I've been programming off and on since 2010. It's sorta taking shape right now and I thought I'd post it, get some opinions and stuff.

I've also started a few threads here and there to try and get some input. I've had pretty good success. Two Bosses (Plant Woman and Slash Woman) have been enemy requests (not planned). So far they turned out making the game better than what I could have imagined on my own (imho). I think it's because it has forced me expand on what i know as a whole. Well anyway, the download is below. You can use ePSXe to try it, or some other emulator. I also test it on real hardware, a mod-chipped psone, but if i didn't have one, i guess i could resort to the swap trick (i did as a kid...) Anyway, any Comments & criticism would be welcome.

updated 12-29-2015
DownloadGame: http://forum.rockmanpm.com/index.php?topic=6560.0

Youtube - Glitches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg0xstPVPGw

Any feedback would be nice.

Last edited by isufje on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 am 

It's cool to see PSX homebrew projects! I'm going to try this on my PAL PSX as soon as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 am 

Exactly my thoughts, great to see some action on the PSX game dev scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 am 
Formerly 65024U

Even homebrew guys call PS1 the wrong name? :roll: Unless this is really for the PS2/DVR combo only released in japan...

That aside, look awesome! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:35 am 

thefox wrote:
It's cool to see PSX homebrew projects! I'm going to try this on my PAL PSX as soon as I can.

Sorry, while programming this game, i've never considered PAL users. I think I'm gonna have to add a PAL/NTSC selector for you, unless you can play NTSC games on you PAL system?

Shiru wrote:
Exactly my thoughts, great to see some action on the PSX game dev scene.

Thanks. Love your Zooming Secretary and Alter Ego BTW. You wouldn't mind if tried porting those for the PSX would you?

3gengames wrote:
Even homebrew guys call PS1 the wrong name? :roll: Unless this is really for the PS2/DVR combo only released in japan...

That aside, look awesome! :)

Oh pleaz!!!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:57 am 

isufje wrote:
thefox wrote:

Sorry, while programming this game, i've never considered PAL users. I think I'm gonna have to add a PAL/NTSC selector for you, unless you can play NTSC games on you PAL system?

I've played some NTSC games and they work fine (the console is modded of course), but I don't really know anything about PSX so maybe it's not that simple... we'll see. My TV supports NTSC signal also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:16 am 

OK, that's good to know, but tell me if you see anything amiss (like you can't see the health bar or something) But be warned, the loading times are horrendous right now (too many files), so try not to die. Also, don't use the 640x480 resolution settings in config. That's only for emulation, it'll freeze real hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 am 

isufje wrote:
Thanks. Love your Zooming Secretary and Alter Ego BTW. You wouldn't mind if tried porting those for the PSX would you?

I don't mind. However, for Alter Ego you would need to get Denis (game in general) and Kulor's (music) permissions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:36 am 

It's great to see homebrew for the PS1 !!
My first console I had as a kid, it's probably to me what the NES is to most people here (I only got interested in older consoles at a later age when I was 14-15-ish).

I think it's the second homebrew I ever see for that platform, the first one being a very simple puzzle game.

You didn't make the intro movie all by yourself, did you ? I seem to recognise some characters.... :roll:

I didn't try a lot of the game so I can't comment but it looks clean and even contains 3D.... really complex for a homebrew !

PS : Oh and I agree the PS1 should be called the PS1, or plain PS (after all, the system is called plain "PlayStation").
I don't get where this X letter comes from. PS1 / PS, PS2, PS3, makes sense. But PSX ???!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 am 

http://www.edge-online.com/features/making-playstation?page=5

PSX was considered as a name for the console for a while, somehow it hung around even though that wasn't the name they used when it finally released.

Quote:
A larger sticking point, however, was PlayStation branding. SCEA hated the name and wanted to change it to PSX, a contraction of the project’s codename. “This was actually a huge internal battle, to the point where there was research done among consumer groups,” says Harrison, who, having seen various youth groups reacting badly to the name PlayStation, had his own fears about it. “I remember thinking, ‘Oh my God, the name is bombing and everyone is going to hate it’. I shared the information with Tokunaka-san, and he said, ‘Oh, that’s nothing, you should have heard what people said about Walkman’. And that pretty much ended the debate.” In Europe, at least: the US nevertheless went ahead with early trade promotion, calling it PSX, and had even come up with its own mascot, Polygon Man.

Last edited by rainwarrior on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:24 am 

Shiru wrote:
I don't mind. However, for Alter Ego you would need to get Denis (game in general) and Kulor's (music) permissions.

Cool. ^_^

Bregalad wrote:
You didn't make the intro movie all by yourself, did you ? I seem to recognise some characters.... :roll:

NO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMUUtgVZbpU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:28 am 

I seem to remember that at one point, the CD-i add-on for the Super NES was called the PlayStation, and the "plan B" system with no Super NES parts in it was codenamed PSX. Hence "PS-X EXE" in the header.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 am 

I'm currently testing some work-a-rounds for the long loading times. I should uploading a better ISO/source soon.

And I use the letters PSX only internet stuff, as I'm pretty sure most people did/do. When I want to play a game with someone, I don't say, "Hey, let's play King of Fighters on the PSX." Just like I don't say, "KOF." I actually say King of Fighters and the Playstation. Just like most people, i suppose, don't go round saying "OMG, look at THAT!" So PSX, to me, is just a quick abbreviation of the word. But apparently it does have some history behind it, as does the abbreviation LAX, i suppose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:09 pm 

OK, the links have been updated with a better loading version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:11 pm 

Look cool! It's rare we see PSX homebrew that look so nice. Oh, and about the old and boring PSX/PS1 controversy, I actually came up with a reasoning for the X when I was a curious teenager with too much time on my hand. The name is Playstation (E)ntertainment (S)ystem. E is the 5th letter of the alphabet and S is the 19th. 5 + 19 = 24. And what is the 24th letter of the alphabet? Yes, that's right, X. So PSX :lol: