FDS RAM Adapter - NES Version

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
muramasa

Re: FDS RAM Adapter - NES Version

Post by muramasa »

krzysiobal wrote:I remember playing with that FDS RAM adapter on a Famicom with CPU (UA6527P), PPU (UA6538) and crystal (26.601712MHz) replaced from a Dendy and it immediatelly hang out after showing the loading screen, so be prepared that it might not work on PAL console without modification of the FDS Bios.
Thanks for the heads up! I don't actually own a PAL console but it is good information to have.
Great Hierophant wrote:Too modest! This is great work and rather gratifying for me as it goes a long way to confirming my original theory of how a(n) NES Disk System would have worked.
Thanks! Yeah I still have a ways to go on it and things to test.
Great Hierophant wrote: I see that bakuten has also done an adapter for Famicom, but I'm trying to make sense of it. http://bakutendo.blog87.fc2.com/blog-entry-319.html Why make a straight through 60-pin version when the original right angle version works fine in just about any 60-pin console ever made? Also, his board doesn't have holes for the unusual single DRAM chip Nintendo used in the later revisions of the FDS RAM Adapter which replaced the standard four DRAM chips.
Bakuten's adapter was designed to work with portable Famicom systems, or any other famicom that has a deeper spot for the cartridge. He talks about it here.
http://bakutendo.blog87.fc2.com/blog-entry-319.html
aquasnake

Re: FDS RAM Adapter - NES Version

Post by aquasnake »

krzysiobal wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:46 am I remember playing with that FDS RAM adapter on a Famicom with CPU (UA6527P), PPU (UA6538) and crystal (26.601712MHz) replaced from a Dendy and it immediatelly hang out after showing the loading screen, so be prepared that it might not work on PAL console without modification of the FDS Bios.
i tested on my fds homebrew cart with a pal famiclone console, it showed the same glitch. the fds bios is loopy's modification, after the KYODAKU screen, it seems like the bios can not copy data to prg-ram reliably.

could anyone help to fix this issue? maybe insert some nop instructions?