Issue with INL TSROM board, wanted to make a SMB2j repo

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Beji

Issue with INL TSROM board, wanted to make a SMB2j repo

Post by Beji » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:11 pm

So after reading around and on the advise of Paul I picked up a TSROM board so I could make a repo of SMB2j based off of Loopy's MMC3 hack.

I ordered the board with 512kb of PRG and 256kb of CHR flash rom. I use Paul's INL boards.

I use a rom splitter I picked up from the Nintendo Age forums (which has always worked in the past), split the rom up, pad it to size. After doing the proper prep work to the INL board I make an attempt to burn the PRG to the board. It gets to about 99%, stalls for a second and then gives me a "error in page 0" error in the programmer.

I've actually tried burning smaller files to the board, and it verifies fine, but I just get a orange screen when I try to power up the game, which means there's something wrong.

Either I am doing something wrong in prepping the rom file to burn, or I may have gotten less memory then what I ordered. Not sure how to check that. I opened a ticket with INL's new support system and am currently waiting for a response.

In the mean time, anyone got any ideas?

ExtraOrdinary

Re: Issue with INL TSROM board, wanted to make a SMB2j repo

Post by ExtraOrdinary » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:16 am

What EEPROMs are you using? And which model of the mapper?

Beji

Re: Issue with INL TSROM board, wanted to make a SMB2j repo

Post by Beji » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:41 pm

Sorry, I just got this resolved today with Paul's help. The error I was getting meant the file I was writing was smaller then the actual memory on the board.

I use a app I picked up on the NA forums to split and pad NES roms. It has almost always worked. Well after comparing the memory from the software VS the retro programmer.

Turns out the software for splitting and padding roms was doing it incorrectly for Loopy's hack. Which makes sense cause some emulators and software doesn't even recognize it as a NES rom.