How to make a NES repro for dummies :)

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Hesterfu

How to make a NES repro for dummies :)

Post by Hesterfu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi, first of all i have to say that i want to get into nes repros because im tired of paying hundreds of dollars to play homebrews, non us relases, translations, etc. I live in Mexico and the prices are just ridiculous for something that the sellers learned to do on the internet. Most of them they're not even electronics and man! they have just taken my money over the years and im sick of that.

So i want to learn how to make my own repro games because i love to play them on the real hardware (so emulation is not an option), and i like to make the labels and store them on my wall, so a flashcart (wich i also have) is not an option either.

I've been reading a LOT! and so far the process seems "simple".

It will go something like this:

1. Choose what game you want to create a repro of.
2. Find a donor
3. Programm the eprom and "install" the rom
4. Remove the old eproms from donor.
5. Install the eproms (soldering, wiring, etc)
6. Test on hardware
7. Design a label.

So far im think i understand the process and that would be the short short and simplistic version, hehe.

So i need some help and if you dont mind to answer my question i will more than happy.

I will start from step #2

2. Finding a donor
I know that the "bible" to go is http://bootgod.dyndns.org/ but what information should i look for to find the right donor?

PCB Class? or how do i know what donor i can use for a Hack or homebrew that would not be listed on that site?

3. Programm the eprom and "install" the rom
Here the things get a little more confusing for me...

Ok i now i know wich donor i need to make my repro, several questions comes:

1. If i remove the original eproms from the donor and i do it very carefully, can i erase them (with the UV Eraser) and program those same eproms and re use them?

2. If the original eproms are usefull how do i know wich new eproms i need to make the cart? I have red that it has to do with the size, right? but how can i be sure of wich eproms i need?

The eternal question... Wich programmer i must buy to do this? i know everyone goes for Willems, but i dont have an old computer with paralel port, so i need a USB programmer. I have found this PACK that looks good enough, what do you think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/GQ-4X-True-USB- ... 1510505362 this one is good for NES and SNES?

5. Install the eproms (soldering, wiring, etc)
Ok, either i re use the donor's eproms, or i use new programmed eproms i have to get dirty now...

How do i know how i must wire each cart? on what thing depends how i must wire each game? Whats the factor that defines it?

Is there a graphic or a guide that can guide me on this? For what i've seen soldering this eproms is not big deal, i know im able to do it right with a little practice.

Please forgive my bad english and if i bother you guys with these questions that im pretty sure you have answer before. There are some tutorials on the internet, but none of them are written for people with NO experience on this. Everybody says that anyone can do it, but they allways explain it for other people that have experience on electronics.

I hope this thread helps others like me.

Thanks for your future responses.
Last edited by Hesterfu on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

watcher

Re: Need some help on how to make a NES repro

Post by watcher » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:09 am

i suggest you stick to this page, its got a nice tutorial for basic and advanced repros:
http://callanbrown.com/index.php/basic-nes-reproduction
the programmer seems to be good, but i havent personally used it. the ROMs of donors are not eraseable (thus the name ROM).
a donor has to at least use the same mapper chip(s), in best case its using the same pcb type.
you should also go through the dedicated forum as these question really got answered (there is the search function)

now, i really would not recommend doing this stuff as you can get headaches from bad wiring, broken electronics etc. i have never heard anyone saying that making repros is easy, as you need to undestand how to operate the programmer and the needed programs, and you need at least good soldering knowledge/skills.
you are way better off getting an everdrive, they are easy to aquire and support near 100% of the officially released games (and most hacks too). the money you spend on, lets say 10 donor carts, would get you an everdrive (~15$ each for advanced mappers) and even only the programmer costs the same as an everdrive N8, so in any case, everdrive is your option.
you might also, if you want physical carts for every single game you want to reproduce for private use only, get yourself the kazoo and some inl boards, they are much cheaper and this way it really is easy to get your repro for private use.

ps: correct the title text..

Hesterfu

Re: How to make a NES repro for dummies :)

Post by Hesterfu » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:37 am

Thank you... i already have flashcarts, but as you say i like to have every game even if they're repros.

About the Kazzo cart, i have red some information, but what does exactly does? I cant find any tutorial that shows the programming possibilities of this cart.

Thanks so much for your answers

PS Sorry for the title! hahaha i have changed now.

Hesterfu

Post by Hesterfu » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:49 am

I think i understand...

The Kazzo cart makes the job of a programmer, so i dont have to wire or solder and you have to use one of their NES PCB.

I can see that there are different types, depending on the game's mapper.

So i just find out wich mapper my desire games uses and buy the right PCB right?

Where do i find that information?

watcher

Post by watcher » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:05 am

you already supplied the link with information yourself, look on nescartdb, under PCB Class, you need to look at the part after "HVC-"/"NES-", this is the essential information you need. order the properly configured board from INL, maybe with cart shell, and the kazoo, and there you go, no need to chop up good old memories (yes, its supposed to be ambivalent wording).
you can also take your ROM, load it up in NEStopia and go to View/Cart Info (or similar), it has got a good database, and it shows you which mapper you need.
I really suggest you to read up on what a mapper is and how their pcb types are composed on nesdev wiki, as you do not really seem to know what you exactly are looking for (this at least will help you alot on not wasting your money on unneccessary orders).
edit: use these as a start:
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Mapper
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/List_of_mappers
esspecially the list of mappers will help you deciding

jpx72

Post by jpx72 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Check out our thread at famicomworld:
www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=11683.0

Hesterfu

Post by Hesterfu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Nice! thanks for your replies!!

Is just so much information on something THAT SEEMS so easy for everyone... and this is a fact, every video or tutorial makes you think that is very very easy.. and it may be is.. but for people who understand those terms.

Well, i think i know what i want now... i think i will go for the kazoo cart and pcb

My rom info is (provided by Nestopia and confirmed by NESDBCART)

Board: NES-TLROM, Mapper 4
PRG-ROM: 256k
CHR-ROM: 128k

I checked the infiniteneslives.com website and found this:

MAPPER #4 MMC3 TxROM

But under that they have 3 options:
1. MMC3 Base CHR-ROM Option
2. MMC3 CHR-RAM Option
3. Full Flash Upgrade

How i do i know wich one i need?

Also, are the guys from www.infiniteneslives.com reliable??

Thanks!

Hesterfu

Post by Hesterfu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:51 pm

jpx72 wrote:Check out our thread at famicomworld:
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index ... ic=11683.0
Wow, that is a nice thread, very usefull and with lots of information.

I think i will go both ways, will try the kazoo (wich is cheap) and also try the "hard way", i need an eprom programmer first :)

chromableedstudios

Post by chromableedstudios » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:27 pm

Hesterfu wrote: Also, are the guys from http://www.infiniteneslives.com reliable??
paul@inl is a good dude, i've ordered from him a few times