Build an eprom eraserr for about $7

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
darknezz19

Build an eprom eraserr for about $7

Post by darknezz19 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 am

Received some m27c322 eproms the other day but they were not blank unfortunately. Money is tight so it was either spend ~25 for one from the states or ~15 to get one frrom China in 30 days. I read that germicidal lamps are the same bulbs in an eraser, but how would I power one?

Found a 9w UV germicidal bulb for about $6.50 shipped. Looking around the interweb we saw other people using CFL ballasts to power florescent lights. Went to the local grocery store and bamo, 9w cfls for 2 bucks. I've heard the dollar store carries these sometimes too but no luck at my store. Pop that bad boy open and you got your ballast.

Now these things are designed with 4 leads, 2 to each end of the original florescent tube. This UV bulb only has two terminals, one on each end. The two extra terminals on the ballast are for a starting capacitor that isn't needed for modern florescent. You should see that two of the four terminals create a loop with the biggest capacitor on the board in between, these are the two you don't use. Wire up the remaining two terminals to your UV lamp and put a cord on it and you got yourself a UV eraser. Put the bulb in a box of some sort and have the ballast outside, you can even use a timer if you want to be fancy. That's it. I set it to 10 minutes and the chips were blank.

AaronE

Re: Build an eprom eraserr for about $7

Post by AaronE » Fri May 08, 2015 2:17 pm

can also use the Sonicare bases with UV sterilization. Takes about 2.5-3 cycles.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Fri May 08, 2015 2:47 pm

You could just leave them out in the sun. I seem to recall estimates suggesting it would take about a week to full erase a typical UV-EPROM.

sadponyguerillaboy

Post by sadponyguerillaboy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:03 am

You can use any UV-C bulb that emits within the 253.7nm / 254nm spectrum. I found a local bulb supplier and was able to buy the bulb and ballast for $20. But then again, you can order a complete eprom eraser from china on ebay for the same price, you just need to be able to wait a month or two for it to arrive. Also, as mentioned above, toothbrush sterilizers are good sources.