Another new user with annoying questions! (Kazzo Programmer)

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
NYMike

Re: Another new user with annoying questions! (Kazzo Program

Post by NYMike »

Ok stupid question time. I apologize in advance. I am able to burn Zelda Link to the Past E, Parallel Worlds, and Goddess of Wisdom and they play and the game will save the file name i.e. Link, however the game play will not save. In all 3 games, once I power down and turn the game back on or reset, the game will act like Link is still in his bed. Is this because I am using a 4 mb cartridge? If I order a 8mb or 12mb cart from http://www.infiniteneslives.com/snessupplies.php will my solve my problem?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Did you buy one with a battery?
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

Yes I might seem new but I'm not that new! Heh. I have used this same cart and have been able to play and save data in Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World and Brutal Super Mario World. Fire Emblem Thracia 776 also seems to save data. The weird thing about the 3 Zelda's is that I can start a new game, name the character and the game will save that name. I.e I can turn off the game, and turn it back on and my character name (Link, AAAAA ect ect) stays. However any amount of time in any of the games, items found, heart containers found will not stay.
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

I guess I should of checked this first, but Zelda Parallel Worlds and Goddess of Wisdom do not work in ZNES on my pc either. I have downloaded a few versions, and manually patched some .ips files and still get the same problems. Is it possible that the versions online are corrupt? Or did they never manually save the game and required save states to play. Also when I start the game in ZSNESW it shows that it is a "bad rom" as well as chksumfail.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

ZSNES and SNES9x are so far off the bottom of the spectrum of accuracy... you should test with bsnes=higan or one of its myriad forks.
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

Ok progress! So I updated Zelda Parallel Worlds to 1.1 and after a few days of Googling found this viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8705&hilit=Goddess. Ironically enough I found the answer to my problem on this site. I grabbed the sword and immediately saved the game, and it saved on a 4mb cartridge. Looks like it is standard function in this game. I am going to flash the cartridge with Goddess of Wisdom, grab the sword and see what happens. I guess the original ZPW was just too hard for me and I never made it far enough to even get close to the sword. Sorry to bug everyone, but I think I have the SNES side almost down pat.
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

So Ive started to rack up titles that I have successfully burned, and think it might help someone else in the future if I post a bunch of games and their results on a INL fllash cart and the Retro Program which usually auto expands files if needed. *No matter what anyone says, Retro Prog auto pads the rom so don't waste your time padding!*

Code: Select all

Game Name                             Cart Size                 Saves?                   Rom              Notes Valid/Kazzo compatible)                                             Notes
Breath of Fire II                       4mb                       Yes                   hi/fast                  (Yes/firmware hirom)      Will require several tweaks in Ucon64 to get past the copy protect
Breath of FIre II Fan made with intros   4mb                      Yes                   hi/fast                  (Yes/firmware hirom)      Same as the regular version, a few cracks needed, played till completion
Brutal Mario (English)                   4mb                     Yes                   lo rom                     (Yes/Probably)                                Tested game and save till 1st castle
BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2                   4mb                 No battery               lo rom                        (Yes/Never)                       Game seems to work even though Retro-Prog says it will "never work"
BS Legend of Zelda                       4mb                     Yes                   hi/fast                    (Yes/firmware hiRom)               Played 1st and 2nd map till completion. Retro-Prog says will probably not work
Chrono Trigger                           4mb                     Yes                                              (Yes/Firmware hiRom)                        Played and saved on the over world. Retro-Prog says will probably not work
Classic Kong Complete                    4mb                  No battery               lo/fast                     (Yes/Probably)                       Made it to second stage seems to play fine
Dragon Quest 1&2 English port           4mb                   Yes                    lo rom                   (Yes/Probably)                           Tested Dragon Warrior 1 save file looks helluva better than GBC
DKC Kremlins Revenge                     4mb                     Yes                   hi/fast                  (Yes/Firmware hiRom)              Retro-Prog says will not play, but seems to. Ucon64 hack required
E.V.O. Search for Eden                   4mb                                           lo  rom                    (Yes/Probably)               Seems to work fine only played first screen need to look into saves
F Zero the lost tracks                   4mb                No battery                                            (Yes/Probably)                                    Only tested to second stage
Final Fantasy 3                          4mb                     Yes                   hi/fast                    (Yes/Firmware hiRom)                             Tested for 30 minutes of play. Retro-Prog says will probably
 not work
Final Fantasy 4 10th Anniversary (J2E)     4mb                   Yes               lo rom                      (Yes/Probably)                        Seems to work just fine
Final Fantasy 5 English port             4mb                      Yes                   lo rom                       (Yes/Probably)                       Tested to first ability to save
Mega Man X                               4mb                  No battery               lo/fast                    (Yes/Probably)                        Only played first stage but seems fine
Oh No! More Zombies Ate...               4mb                 No battery                lo rom/rom                 (Yes/Probably)                                      Tested to level 9
Radical Dreamers v1.4                     4mb                   Yes                                                    (Yes/firmware hirom)                   Requires v1.4 to save
Rockman and Forte EN 1.0                 4mb                                            hi/fast                      (Yes/hiRom)  
Secret of Evermore                       4mb                     Yes                   hi/fast                     (Yes/hiRom)                                 Tested till 1st save point in village. Retro-Prog says will probably not work
Secret of Mana 2                         4mb                      Yes                  hi/fast                    (Yes/firmware hirom)                Played for 15 minutes until first save. Retro-Prog says will probably not work
Super Mario World                        4mb                     Yes                   lo rom                       (Yes/Probably)                               Tested till 1st Switch Palace
Super Mario 3+ The New Islands           4mb                     Yes                   lo rom                   (Yes/Probably)                           Tested and saves at first save point
Super Mario Return to Dinosaur Land      4mb                     Yes                   lo/fast                     (Yes/Probably)                                Tested to 1st Castle, saves and plays fine
Super Metroid Zero Mission               4mb                     Yes                   lo/fast                    (Yes/Probably)                  Tested to first save point. Will require Ucon64 to pass copy protect
Super Metroid Redesign                   4mb                     Yes                   lo/fast                       (Yes/Probably)                           Will require Ucon64 to pass copy protect 
Super Metroid Justin Bailey              4mb                      Yes                  lo/fast                          (Yes/Probably)                         Will require Ucon64 to pass copy protect
Zelda Goddess of Wisdom                  4mb                     Yes*                  lo rom                    (Yes/Probably)                        Game will not save until you rescue Princess Zelda!                         
Super Mario 3x   Final 2.6               4mb                      Yes                  lo/fast                      (Yes/Probably)                       *Must manually add a header* Can play till completion with minor errors
SMW The Lost Adventure E.1               4mb                      Yes                  lo rom                      (Yes/Probably)                  *Must manually add a header*  Shadow dungeon has errors if you die
SMW The Lost Adventure E.2               4mb                      Yes                  lo rom                      (Yes/Probably)                  *Must manually add a header*  Played till 1st castle

Zelda Parallel Worlds Remodel 1.1        4mb                     Yes*                  lo rom                     (Yes/Probably)                                 *Game will not save until you get your sword*
Zelda Goddess of Wisdom                  4mb                       Yes*                  lo rom                         (Yes/Probably)                             *Game will not save until you save the Princess*

8mb carts (Special thanks to Gered and sherpahigh for help in pm help)
Chrono Trigger Retranslation             8mb                       Yes                   hi/fast                  (Yes/firmware hirom)                Seems to work perfectly fine, will update the the future
Chrono Trigger Prophets Guile            8mb                       Yes                   hi/fast                  (Yes/firmware hirom)                Seems to work perfectly fine, will update the the future
Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes             8mb                       Yes                   hi/fast                  (Yes/firmware hirom)             Seems to work perfectly fine, will update the the future

12mb carts (Special thanks to Gered for a easy patch and pm help again)
Star Ocean                               12mb                    Yes                   lo/fast                    (Yes/Never (needs patch)               Interesting note here I cannot get the game to work when burned with Danin's software, but properly with stock software)

Bad Games (If anyone using SNES Hi/Lo ROM reproduction PCB/flash boards get these titles to work, please share!)

Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem cannot seem to get past the region crack even with Ucon64 anyone wants to help me out with that would be great!
Super Mario Land 3 NES Hack

As I test more games, I will continue to update the list, unless this information is not relevant to anyone.
Last edited by NYMike on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 23 times in total.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

If you wrap your table with

Code: Select all

before and [ / code] after, it will preserve your formatting.

(omit the spaces, otherwise phpBB would have actually converted my text into preformatted monospace text)
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

Heh. Thanks lidnariq it looks alot better, but could still use a bit more cleanup. I will try to keep updating as I try more cartridges and maybe ask a couple more questions if they arise.
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

Added a few more games to the list. After a week of browsing the forums, I kind of think that this topic might belong in say NES flash carts or SNES section than Repro. If any of the mods think the topic should be moved, I wont get my feelings hurt.
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

Added a few new games, added a list of bad games. If anyone using INL.com SNES Hi/Lo ROM reproduction PCB/flash boards get the games I list off as bad to work, let me know!
wyndcrosser

Post by wyndcrosser »

Hi,

When it comes to cartridge based games, I think you should do a little more research on chips etc. for the games you're looking into. Anything that needs a DSP-1 or above will not work on INL carts, unless he's fixed since the last time I messed with them. I know hacks and/or games that use the "true" special chips like Mario RPG etc. do not work at all. The Star Ocean hack works because someone hacked the game to run without the required chip.

Attached is the spreadsheet I used to help create games from donor carts, but it also helps to identify what chips are used for each game.

Super Mario World The Lost Adventure - check the rom you're using.
Super Mario Kart (Retro Prog says will never work) - DSP-1 game
Super Mario Kart R (Retro Prog says never work) - DSP-1 game
Super Mario Land 3 NES Hack - check the rom you're using.
Super Mario RPG (Retro Prog says never work) - Special Chip game
Super Mario RPG Armageddon - Special Chip game
Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem - Should work (http://www.jcretail.ca/fire-emblem-myst ... he-emblem/)
Attachments
cartridge Info.xls
(858 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

That's quite an impressive list. I would love to openly discuss the roms I have not been able to get to work. I think posting the link on where I downloaded them from would help out immensely, however I don't want to do this until I get a 100% ok answer. Maybe a mod/admin might pop in this thread and give an official yeah/nay on posting links for my sources on non licensed Nintendo games (hacks/homebrews) as well as English translated ports.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Links to copyright-infringing material is officially not allowed, but you can link to the patch (such as on rhdn) and/or provide a hash of the resulting image (which is enough to uniquely identify a file).
NYMike

Post by NYMike »

Added a few more games to the list. Added a bit more details, hopefully the chart did not get confusing now. If this information is helpful, maybe I will move the list to the front of this thread in case someone new might be able to use it.