Susoft 5a clone?

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
zxbdragon

Re: Susoft 5a clone?

Post by zxbdragon »

Joe wrote:Done!

I wonder if there's already a mapper number assigned for this configuration.
emu src ? you have?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Joe wrote:I don't see anything connected to 74191 pin 5. The connection to that pin controls the direction of the 16-step counter, but I'm not sure what it will do if it's not connected at all...
The various BJT-based 74xx technologies (instead of FET-based) signal using current instead of voltage, so an open input is usually equivalent to a +5V input.
(e.g. datasheet for DM74LS14 says IH = 20µA; IL = -400µA )
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I confirm this.
Pin 5 of 74191 is connected to noting. I took a look at the board right now.

Looking at the pinout of the mapper, seems to be exactly the same as this one http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/VRC2_pinout
Except that pin 13 is connected to VRAM /A10 instead of PA10, pins 16-17-18-19-39 and 28 are connected to nothing, but may have the same function as described on the wiki.

Does the external IRQ circuit explains the slowdowns on this game?
Should I try to redump the CHR?
I'll try to assemble a Contra J repro with this parts, any other game recommendation? I think Crisis Force won't work in this mapper, will it??

Again, many thanks for everybody!!
l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira »

VRC2 and VRC4 are *almost* the same thing. But they aren't the same thing. You won't get VRC4 games work on VRC2.

The inverse surely is possible (with ROM hacking) as I've done it myself.

VRC4 has the IRQ timer and is capable of using bigger PRG/CHR ROMs.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

l_oliveira wrote:VRC2 and VRC4 are *almost* the same thing. But they aren't the same thing. You won't get VRC4 games work on VRC2.
Yeah, I have thought this, but asked anyway... you never know...

Will stay with Contra as this game marked my childhood, and this is the prime objective of my small collection.
Think I'll start tomorrow, because it's raining hard now, the perfect weather to take a nap!!
Joe

Post by Joe »

lidnariq wrote:The various BJT-based 74xx technologies (instead of FET-based) signal using current instead of voltage, so an open input is usually equivalent to a +5V input.
(e.g. datasheet for DM74LS14 says IH = 20µA; IL = -400µA )
That would make it behave like the FME-7 IRQ counter, if the FME-7 only let you set the highest four bits of the counter. (In fact, the hacked ROM uses the original counter values. It writes the high 8 bits to $F003, and the low 8 bits to $F002.)
Fisher wrote:Looking at the pinout of the mapper, seems to be exactly the same as this one http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/VRC2_pinout
Except that pin 13 is connected to VRAM /A10 instead of PA10, pins 16-17-18-19-39 and 28 are connected to nothing, but may have the same function as described on the wiki.
That pinout has some mistakes.
Fisher wrote:Does the external IRQ circuit explains the slowdowns on this game?
The hacks they used to convert it from FME-7 to VRC2 added some code, so that could be why it slows down. It's hard to check if the IRQ could cause slowdown without an emulator that implements this mapper.
Fisher wrote:Should I try to redump the CHR?
Yes. It's probably the same as the original, but it's good to know for sure.
l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira »

That pinout is just confusing to read because it covers both VRC2 and VRC4. ;)
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

Fisher,Cassette, Is there such a phenomenon?
untitled.av.
Attachments
Untitled1.rar
(480.38 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

zxbdragon wrote:Fisher,Cassette, Is there such a phenomenon?
Yeah! It plays almost like this!!
Although it don't have the hearth color glitch.
The energy glitch is present, and looks much worse on TV.
You see the slowdown on this first level!!
On the sewers and cavern it gets much worse!!
A lot of parts on stage 4-3 seems to be in slow motion!! I thought the game was going to lock out!!

Is the current Nestopia that can play it almost perfect or is it a modded version?
What do you mean with cassette?? I didn't get it! :roll:
Looks like I won't need a CHR redump!! :-)
Last edited by Fisher on Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

"Cassette" is another term that's used to mean "cartridge" or "game pak".
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Cool!!
I've already seem it on some carts, but didn't understand the context.
In my native language cassette may refer to an audio tape, and there's even a word (a bad word) that some people say when they're surprised that sounds almost the same thing.
I thought it was kind of a joke :-), but nevermind...
tepples

Post by tepples »

カセット (pronounced "kasetto") is often used for a game cartridge in Japanese, possibly because of its lack of complex consonant clusters compared to "cartridge". For example, Sunsoft's Nantettatte Baseball had a "double cassette system" that took option ROMs for roster updates. But in other languages, I agree that it's more likely to refer to a Philips Compact Cassette or a video cassette. Then you get to grandmas who call them "Nintendo tapes" because they slide into a front-loading NES the same way video cassettes slide into a VCR.

"Cassette" as a swear word when surprised, now that's new to me.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

Cassette == cartridge == cart
I am sorry,My English is not very well.
real machine Like flashing?
l_oliveira

Post by l_oliveira »

tepples wrote:カセット (pronounced "kasetto") is often used for a game cartridge in Japanese, possibly because of its lack of complex consonant clusters compared to "cartridge". For example, Sunsoft's Nantettatte Baseball had a "double cassette system" that took option ROMs for roster updates. But in other languages, I agree that it's more likely to refer to a Philips Compact Cassette or a video cassette. Then you get to grandmas who call them "Nintendo tapes" because they slide into a front-loading NES the same way video cassettes slide into a VCR.

"Cassette" as a swear word when surprised, now that's new to me.
In Portuguese (and maybe in Spanish too) "cacete" is the word for wooden club.The blunt weapon cavemen used.
Due to it's shape people use it's name as slang for the male reproductive organ or it can also be used in a context meaning the person got beaten up. That word is actually over 200 hundred years old pre-dating Compact Cassettes by a long margin. lol

To be fair, in spoken Portuguese the sound for both words are very similar. Maybe because of that here nobody write "Cassette". "K7" is used instead.

Hopefully this was enlightening.

Edit:
More explanation is due. My bad.
K7 meaning "ka" (how Portuguese speaking people pronounce "k") + "sete" (seven in Portuguese)
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

In China:
20150921133506.jpg