It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:54 am 

Quote:
How do you manege to desolder a socket anyway?

I usually end up breaking them and removing each pin with pliers.

Are you using a desoldering iron? They're only $10 from Radio Shack. well worth the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:04 pm 

So, if I may ask, what is the proper chip modification for the TLROM board? I don't see it on the big list here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:39 am 

Same as TSROM and TKROM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:19 am 

Would it make a difference if you use 32 or 28 pins for these conversions or is 32 pin EPROMS just assumed to be the accepted?

I ask this myself as i'm starting to find many of my TKROMs that i'm planning on using for my new carts have the 28 pin PRGs in them already and i'm wondering if I should use a 32 pin for all my conversions. I'm just wondering if there's a standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:20 pm 

The problem is that the largest programmable 28-pin chip you'll find are 64KB in size. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there is a programmable 28-pin chip that's 128KB.

I have replaced a 128KB ROM with a 64KB chip in my UNROM devcart. The fact that the pin count was the same made it easier to make the cart, but I made a cart that will not run many commercial games (I only found a couple that used only 64KB). This is likely suited for my own development only.

TKROM boards, however, have holes for the extra pins, even if a 28-pin ROM is originally used. I think the extra holes can be used. Someone will have to clear this up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:44 pm 

Thanks, Tokumaru. I hope you can use them.

I will am wanting to burn the translated 'Destiny of an Emperor' onto an EPROM and I see it uses a '512k' PRG chip and a '0k' CHR chip and I was unable to figure out how to proceed using a 'Tecmo Basketball' TKROM board (this is the appropriate board, isn't it?) as that cart's board has a 28 pin PRG chip and a 32 pin-er for the CHR.

And I haven't ordered my EPROMs yet, so I wanted to know what to buy from the place you suggested (FUTURLEC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:40 pm 

Among TxROM boards used in North American games, only TGROM can support CHR RAM (which iNES calls 0 KB CHR ROM) and 512 KB PRG ROM. You're most likely to find this board in Mega Man 4 or 6. However, TGROM has no PRG RAM. TKROM has CHR ROM, not CHR RAM, and may need a bit of rewiring to get it to work with RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:54 pm 

noriaki_kakyouin wrote:
And I haven't ordered my EPROMs yet, so I wanted to know what to buy from the place you suggested (FUTURLEC)

I got the "Flash Memory - Atmel Type" ones. They have all sizes from 32KB (AT29C256) to 512KB (AT29C040).

The 32KB ones work great. I haven't tested the 512KB ones yet, they'll need a lot of rewiring.

Flash ROM's are good if you want to rewrite games over and over. If you plan on keeping the games for good, just buy regular EPROM's (http://www.futurlec.com/ICEPROM.shtml).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:08 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
Flash ROM's are good if you want to rewrite games over and over. If you plan on keeping the games for good, just buy regular EPROM's (http://www.futurlec.com/ICEPROM.shtml).
I was wanting to make individual carts for each game and keep them for good. Sucks being obsessive/compulsive (laughs).

tepples wrote:
Among TxROM boards used in North American games, only TGROM can support CHR RAM (which iNES calls 0 KB CHR ROM) and 512 KB PRG ROM. You're most likely to find this board in Mega Man 4 or 6. However, TGROM has no PRG RAM. TKROM has CHR ROM, not CHR RAM, and may need a bit of rewiring to get it to work with RAM.
Ah! Thanks for the information.

EDIT: Would this be a good FAQ to follow for the CHR RAM/ROM modification? Is there a better site that shows modification of a TxROM to TGROM? And what RAM chip would I want to order from this page?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks a lot for helping me learn this.