Alternatives to pin out/rewiring repros?

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
canseeuw

Alternatives to pin out/rewiring repros?

Post by canseeuw » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Hello, I am new to the forums- and SOMEWHAT new to creating my own repros.

I find that using a pin out/re-wiring method is somewhat tedious (not to mention sloppy looking).. somewhat annoying...

Anyone tried any alternatives?

Perhaps it is possible to edit the hex for the new values of an alternative chipset? (Perhaps someone has already done this and made those values available?)

Is it possible to tweak the values in an eprom writer maybe? (I use a GQ 4x4, but have never eally messed with the advanced settings)..

Maybe it's possible to use conductive ink traces on the chip reverse (in lieu of wiring), so it's not as ugly (but still a tedious task?)

Just curious if anyone has explored any of these avenues with respect to reproduction (mostly the 1st option)-- I love making repros for my personal use- but - as with anything, I always say, "there has GOT to be a better way" =P

NYMike

Re: Alternatives to pin out/rewiring repros?

Post by NYMike » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:49 pm

For SNES/NES the Infinite NES lives route is not too bad. It is a bit more expensive than soldering all day long but still worth noting. http://www.infiniteneslives.com/

The SNES side is pretty damn rock solid. The chips can be reused repeatedly and I have had pretty good luck so far with all sorts of rom hacks homebrews ect.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12963&start=15

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:49 pm

canseeuw wrote:Perhaps it is possible to edit the hex for the new values of an alternative chipset? (Perhaps someone has already done this and made those values available?)
This is commonly referred to as a "mapper hack". The GoodNES library marks these with the letters "hM". Some are easier than others, and some are completely impossible.
Maybe it's possible to use conductive ink traces on the chip reverse (in lieu of wiring), so it's not as ugly (but still a tedious task?)
How would you connect from a conductive ink trace to the old holes on the PCB?

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Well, I've found this mod's image:
Awesome mod!
Awesome mod!
I just could not find an image of the other side, but this looks amazing!!
I just can't see the wires!!
They probably are on the other side...

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:39 pm

We can't see what rework (if any) was on reverse side, but the donor there is an HVC-SOROM-01.

(MMC1, 2 RAMs: SOROM. No CIC: HVC-SOROM. Black triangle visible above battery: HVC-SOROM-01)

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:40 am

Cool!!
What would that 2 "connector headers" be for?
Testing purposes, maybe?