Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) The Lost Levels Reproduction - Anago

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
rebelsong

Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) The Lost Levels Reproduction - Anago

Post by rebelsong »

Good evening ladies and gentlemen and thank you in advance for your consideration and cooperation.

I have a famicom game called Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) The Lost Levels. I purchased it from a Chinese eBay seller named kairoseki_ichigo.
My goal is to either create from scratch or preferably find an anago script that will allow me to dump the game ROM via INL's Retro Programmer Kazzo.
My question is as follows:

Does anyone know of an anago script that would allow me to achieve my goal of dumping the game ROM for this particular game?
Or, by looking at the pictures of the PCB (please see below), does anyone savvy what an analog script for dumping this game would look like?

Again, I appreciate your help. At your convenience, please respond with your thoughts. Thanks!
Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels Repro 3.jpg
Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels Repro 2.jpg
Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels Repro 1.jpg
lidnariq

Re: Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) The Lost Levels Reproduction - A

Post by lidnariq »

Visible parts on that board:
A 512 KiB EEPROM
An 128 KiB EEPROM
A 32 KiB SRAM
An epoxy blob ("chip-on-board").

Odds are good that you'll have to reverse-engineer the board, rather than finding someone here who already knows what's going on. If you're up for that, the first steps are your choice of:
1- Use a multimeter to figure out what pins go to what places (and in this case, scratch a little of the resist off the traces that go into the epoxy blob), or-
2- Dump the game as NROM (mapper 0), and follow in a debugging emulator to figure out how the game writes to the mapper registers
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Did you try dumping as MMC3?
rebelsong

Post by rebelsong »

lidnariq wrote:Visible parts on that board:
A 512 KiB EEPROM
An 128 KiB EEPROM
A 32 KiB SRAM
An epoxy blob ("chip-on-board").

Odds are good that you'll have to reverse-engineer the board, rather than finding someone here who already knows what's going on. If you're up for that, the first steps are your choice of:
1- Use a multimeter to figure out what pins go to what places (and in this case, scratch a little of the resist off the traces that go into the epoxy blob), or-
2- Dump the game as NROM (mapper 0), and follow in a debugging emulator to figure out how the game writes to the mapper registers
Thank you for your thoughtful contribution, lidnariq.
rebelsong

Post by rebelsong »

Ice Man wrote:Did you try dumping as MMC3?
Ice Man, greetings. Yes, I used the mmc3.ad and mmc3_v2.ad.
These amongst several other analog scripts (including many of those found at GitHub) I tried to no avail.

Thanks for your inquiry.
nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

You could desolder the PRG and CHR EEPROM chips and read them with most any universal programmer if that is an option for you.
rebelsong

Post by rebelsong »

nintendo2600 wrote:You could desolder the PRG and CHR EEPROM chips and read them with most any universal programmer if that is an option for you.
Thanks, nintendo2600. That is something that I have not yet considered. I will absolutely look into this as a potential solution.
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

it's standard mapper4.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

The label looks rather nicely designed for a pirate cartridge. The board is overkill for Super Mario Bros. 2, but at least 5v parts appear to be used across the board.
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

this clone chip contains mapper0/2/3/4, i'm 100% sure