Nes CHR RAM/SRAM Question

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
silentadminz

Nes CHR RAM/SRAM Question

Post by silentadminz »

My question is what other options for chr ram do I have, is there a list somewhere of compatibility or what should I be comparing besides it being Sram @ 8192x8, DIP28, pinout, and physical form factor of the ram. Looking for an exact drop in replacement, not rewiring of the pins to the board. I assume it can be bigger in memory size (more than 8x8), but not sure hense the post.

HM6264LP-15 - Currently have a few of these and they work great for UN/OROM..etc Looking at HY6264ALP-70 datasheet it looks to be compatible? I'm no expert in ram or indepth electronics, just making a private repro collection/hobby and need to find cheaper ram solutions preferably in bulk that doesn't cost $243k. :?:
Memblers
Site Admin

Re: Nes CHR RAM/SRAM Question

Post by Memblers »

Yeah, HM6264 and HY6264 are compatible. Any part with 6264 in the part number should be the same.

62256 (32k x 8) is more common (in DIP28 package, I'm not so sure though) and is almost pin-compatible. You would need to make sure pin 1 is connected to something (could be 5V, GND, or even pin 2). Pin 26 is different, more than likely whatever board you're using has pin 26 connected to 5V. In that case, no further changes are needed.
silentadminz

Post by silentadminz »

Memblers wrote:Yeah, HM6264 and HY6264 are compatible. Any part with 6264 in the part number should be the same.

62256 (32k x 8) is more common (in DIP28 package, I'm not so sure though) and is almost pin-compatible. You would need to make sure pin 1 is connected to something (could be 5V, GND, or even pin 2). Pin 26 is different, more than likely whatever board you're using has pin 26 connected to 5V. In that case, no further changes are needed.
Awesome, Appreciate the info. I figured the 6264 series was compatible, but needed the verbal thumbs up from someone that knows so things :D I looked up HM62256BLP-7 is a DIP28 a good bit cheaper too, the pinout does look different though as said. I'll steer clear of of that for now, but it's nice to know there are options.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The 62256 is the same thing as a 6264, just with 32K instead of 8K and no +CE. This can give you bankable CHR RAM, which has advantages.
silentadminz

Post by silentadminz »

tepples wrote:The 62256 is the same thing as a 6264, just with 32K instead of 8K and no +CE. This can give you bankable CHR RAM, which has advantages.
Will there be any issues with roms/nes seeing more ram on the cart or no :?: From what was said above "make sure pin 1 is connected to something (could be 5V, GND, or even pin 2) and ping 26 should be fine if already connected to 5v. Would I just lift pin one and connect it to one of the previous mentioned or just leave it down and jump it over to one of those mentioned?

I already bought a bulk of 6264's :beer: so I probably won't need any for a good while, but I could have saved $20 perhaps :roll:
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

By connecting the (unneeded) higher address lines to GND or 5V you are making the extra memory in the chip inaccessible, the NES will not be able to tell the difference from an 8KB chip.

Bankable CHR-RAM would only benefit new programs made to work with the banking scheme you design.