Bad Rom fix p

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
UncleLudwig

Bad Rom fix p

Post by UncleLudwig »

Hello to everyone! Few days ago i tried to do a snes repro of Umihara Kawasa (with the patch to english). In the emulator
appears that it is a "bad rom", i don't know if it affects the game, it is a way to fix it? The repro i did not work, i use the correct donor card and all that (1meg game with battery) but it don't work in my Snes.

Thank you and sorry for the bad english
Attachments
badrom.png
badrom.png (3.4 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
tepples

Re: Bad Rom fix p

Post by tepples »

That looks like a decade-old emulator. Does it work in higan or bsnes-plus? I ask because the patch may have broken compatibility with hardware. A lot of translation patches introduce dependencies on emulator defects.

What does Holy Striker Batman show when you burn it instead of UK?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Could be you just have a ROM with an unnecessary header on it that should be stripped before you patch. (Or even worse, vice versa.) Could also be more than one ROM revision, but I kinda doubt that would be the case for Umihara Kawase.

Did the patch have CRC information for the target ROM? i.e. was there some way to verify that you have the correct file before patching?
mrTentacle

Post by mrTentacle »

in my experience ZSNES says BAD ROM about anything where the checksum is wrong.
You can fix that in windhex or uCon64, but as long as the roms plays as it should you can make a cart out of it.

EDIT. sounds like the patch expected a header or vise versa