I made up a tutorial for beginners - any criticisms welcome!

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
poorstudenthobbyist

I made up a tutorial for beginners - any criticisms welcome!

Post by poorstudenthobbyist »

Hi, hopefully this is an ok place to post this. If not, let me know!

Over the past month or so, I've been collecting a lot of information from this forum and other websites so I could create a comprehensive tutorial that would encompass as many methods of making NES and SNES repros from donor cartridges as I could find. I tried to make it an educational tutorial as well, and tried to explain things more in-depth.

If anyone is interested in checking it out, you can read my NES guide here and my SNES guide here.

Any comments, criticisms, or corrections are completely welcome - I only want to make it better for people to follow and understand. I'm planning on updating the NES guide to make it a bit easier to follow - I actually wrote it up about 3 years ago on Blogger, there's nearly 200 comments on there from people asking questions, so I feel like it's helping at least a bit! I decided to move to Wordpress because I like their layouts better. The SNES one I just finished and I think is a lot more polished.

(I'm not making any revenue on this, since I don't have ads through Wordpress. Just want to spread the knowledge.)
doragon

Re: I made up a tutorial for beginners - any criticisms welc

Post by doragon »

poorstudenthobbyist wrote:Hi, hopefully this is an ok place to post this. If not, let me know!

Over the past month or so, I've been collecting a lot of information from this forum and other websites so I could create a comprehensive tutorial that would encompass as many methods of making NES and SNES repros from donor cartridges as I could find. I tried to make it an educational tutorial as well, and tried to explain things more in-depth.

If anyone is interested in checking it out, you can read my NES guide here and my SNES guide here.

Any comments, criticisms, or corrections are completely welcome - I only want to make it better for people to follow and understand. I'm planning on updating the NES guide to make it a bit easier to follow - I actually wrote it up about 3 years ago on Blogger, there's nearly 200 comments on there from people asking questions, so I feel like it's helping at least a bit! I decided to move to Wordpress because I like their layouts better. The SNES one I just finished and I think is a lot more polished.

(I'm not making any revenue on this, since I don't have ads through Wordpress. Just want to spread the knowledge.)
Fantastic! Very well explained for the new ones like me. I will try to create one with your guide.
Do you know if Famicom is the same process and same welds? A greeting and thanks for your work
tepples

Post by tepples »

It should work for Famicom game boards made by Nintendo. Third-party boards, by contrast, are more likely to use an EEPROM-compatible pinout for their mask ROMs.
poorstudenthobbyist

Post by poorstudenthobbyist »

doragon wrote:
poorstudenthobbyist wrote:Hi, hopefully this is an ok place to post this. If not, let me know!

Fantastic! Very well explained for the new ones like me. I will try to create one with your guide.
Do you know if Famicom is the same process and same welds? A greeting and thanks for your work
As far as I know they should be similar! I've had many people contact me about making games, and many themselves were from a region other than mine, and they seemed to be just fine.

Thanks so much!