Perpering a ROM for a repro?

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
kidpoker

Perpering a ROM for a repro?

Post by kidpoker »

So I pick up some nice super famicom games at a market for a great price and I want to play them in English.
So I was thinking of making them into repro but keeping the carts with the original artwork.

I got dragon quest 5, 6 and final fantasy 6.

My first question is where is safe to download roms?
I used one site to download dragon quest 5 and the file size was 1.5mb I then patched it and it didn't work.
So I then downloaded a patched rom and it works fine but has a bad checksum and no header and was 2mb

Now I didn't want to do a load of wiring so I got some TSOP boards and 29f033 chips.

So I think I have to pad the rom in order for it to work on the chip.
Will Lunar Expand work and will the rom need the to have the header or not and what about the checksum when padding?

So once the rom is 4mb I most remove the header using UCON and should I make sure the checksum should be ok and then it is ready to burn?

I also plan to add the super cic to each cart as I only have an unmodded PAL SNES, so will the games run in 50 or 60hz?

Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance :)
tepples

Re: Perpering a ROM for a repro?

Post by tepples »

kidpoker wrote:My first question is where is safe to download roms?
Avast ye.
kidpoker wrote:Is there anything I am missing?
A court has ruled that fan subtitles break the law. And if fan subtitles break the law, then translation patches probably also break the law.