Almana no Kiseki FDS to MMC1 Repro Problem

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Ice Man

Almana no Kiseki FDS to MMC1 Repro Problem

Post by Ice Man »

I just recently made a repro on a HVC-SLROM-02 board using Mottzilla's FDS to MMC1 conversion of Almana no Kiseki. While the dumped (with Kazzo) game works fine in an emulator it refuse to start/work on a original console.

I contacted MottZilla already but he can't remember well what mod was needed to some Nintendo boards.
If anyone got an idea, I'd appreciate the help.
zxbdragon

Re: Almana no Kiseki FDS to MMC1 Repro Problem

Post by zxbdragon »

ANK have irq. MMC1 have irq?
tepples

Post by tepples »

MMC1 has no IRQ. You'd have to hack it to use sprite 0 spinwaiting or DMC IRQ.
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Apparently there's certain MMC1 revisions that work and some that do not according to what MottZilla told me.

MMC1 on a CPLD works better. Maybe because of power up state? No idea.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

Ice Man wrote:Apparently there's certain MMC1 revisions that work and some that do not according to what MottZilla told me.

MMC1 on a CPLD works better. Maybe because of power up state? No idea.
I found MMC1 version. Great Project.
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

Ice Man wrote:I just recently made a repro on a HVC-SLROM-02 board using Mottzilla's FDS to MMC1 conversion of Almana no Kiseki. While the dumped (with Kazzo) game works fine in an emulator it refuse to start/work on a original console.

I contacted MottZilla already but he can't remember well what mod was needed to some Nintendo boards.
If anyone got an idea, I'd appreciate the help.
It's quite possible that it needs WRAM. If it's like most other FDS conversions (even official ones by Nintendo) it may need it. So I'd suggest using a SKROM board and see if that works.
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Hmm, haven't tried that yet. Will do once I get a SKROM board. Thanks!
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Alright so.
Tried the CHR-ROM version with a SKROM board. Can be dumped fine but never works on the real hardware.

Tried the CHR-RAM version with a SNROM board. Can be dumped fine but never works on the real hardware.

The game even needs some time on FCEUX SVN3394 to load up actually.

My assume is that there might be old MMC1 revisions who can handle it while most don't.

If anyone ever got the game to work on a real Famicom or NES I'm more than happy to know how or what board was used.
pakosup

Post by pakosup »

Ice Man wrote: If anyone ever got the game to work on a real Famicom or NES I'm more than happy to know how or what board was used.
I've made repro on SNROM board, and it works fine on Famicom.
I don't remember exact chip revision but I think it should work with any.
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

there's a small glitch: when starting the game, wait 2 seconds and press select button to skip the opening, then noise appears, i tested on a real famicom and it still exists even though on fceux.
Yolt1

Post by Yolt1 »

Hey guys,

sorry to dig this up but I also have a question. (I thought I might better use this existing thread rather than starting a new one).

My question is rather simple : I have the Mottzilla patches but I don't know what to patch :P

My first thought was trying th apply it on the Famicom Disk System game... But it won't let me patch an .FDS rom !

Thanks in advance for the info
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

The commonly found FDS file for the game is no longer the version I based the original patch files on. I updated my patch archive (on my website) to include patches for the version commonly found today. It is the file found in the NoIntro set.