How to make multicartes a particular program to use or a way

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
krug stillo

How to make multicartes a particular program to use or a way

Post by krug stillo »

I'm fairly new to reproductions I've managed to make a few for SNES and a few for NES just so I can play games I don't own on a cartridge I use the kazzo inl device and it works great I assume there's got to be a way to use it for multicart Creations whether it's a particular program or just the way to bundle ROMs and then use the flashing program I use already. if somebody can help me that would be awesome I think anyone will responds ahead of time
tepples

Re: How to make multicartes a particular program to use or a

Post by tepples »

Man, is that a run-on sentence.

It depends on which games you want to include, in particular how big they are and what mapper they use. If all the games use simple mappers (NROM, CNROM, UNROM/UOROM, AMROM/ANROM/AOROM, BNROM), you could use a mapper 28 cartridge with the Action 53 engine.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

For me, the easiest multicart to do is a reset based.
You can take a look on the one I've donte here.
It's simple, just split the PRG and CHR of the 2 (or 4) games you want, them copy all the PRGs to a single file, do the same with the CHRs, paying attention to the sequence you used.
Next use the circuit of the thread I pointed, with the output on the upper address bus pins of the ROMs.

You're limited to do multicarts with games that use the same mapper with this.
It's possible to do really nice ones with menus as Farid did here.
But it's a bit more complicated, as you can see by going through the thread, but the end result is better.
MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

Hey, is the OP asking about SNES or NES multicarts?? It's very hard to answer both at the same time. Either way I believe NES has been answered well enough already, so I can say SNES idea is essentially the same. One of the easiest ways to do a multicart is by switching it by reset and you can do the same for SNES games, although you can't mix "mappers", so you can't mix Lorom with Hirom games (just easily) on 1 cart. You should also keep in mind whether your games use SRAM save, although this is also doable to install a bigger SRAM chip and switch it the same way as program chips so all games have independent save files
krug stillo

Post by krug stillo »

Really what I wanted to do was make an SNES multicart with my favorite Mario hacks on it so I can play them on a system without having to make a dozen cartridges I've made a multicart on NES before it's SNES that I'm having a real difficult time with thank you everybody who responded
tepples

Post by tepples »

If it's just to play and not to sell ☠️yarr☠️, try SNES PowerPak or Super EverDrive.
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Or if it can be more expensive but also alot better, try SD2SNES.

Making multi carts of SMW Hacks (I assume that's what you want) wouldn't work out as well as most of them are around 4MB which would require a 27c322/29F032/29F033 for ONE game.

Making a multi cart would require something like a 29GL128 + proper level shifting as well as a 74HC161 to decode the highest address lines (A21 and A22 since we can have to up 4x 4MB games on the 29GL128 as it holds 16MB of data) to switch the games based on reset.

You'll need custom made adapters/boards for that so I suggest an Evedrive/PowerPak or SD2SNES as well.