Rom Hack Reproduction

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Jedi QuestMaster

Rom Hack Reproduction

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

I finished a project of mine that took longer than expected (mainly because I'm picky), & it turned out to be better than expected:

http://questgames.blogspot.com/

Now I'd like to distribute them on cart, but don't know much at all about rom writing & know nothing about soldering.

Would it be to much trouble to have someone do the rom work, or is it simple enough to learn?
tepples

Post by tepples »

If you develop a game based on the Journey to Silius program, reproduce it in cartridges, and distribute it, Sunsoft might sue you. Sunsoft is still around, and your ROM hack would cut into revenue that Sunsoft would have earned from selling copies of Journey to Silius on Wii Virtual Console. Get a good lawyer first.
Jedi QuestMaster

So it's a no-go for selling?

Okay, then what about as a give-away? Will that still work?
blargg

Post by blargg »

Okay, then what about as a give-away? Will that still work?
See tepples' comment above. The copyright holder is the only one who can decide how the game and derivitive works can be legally distributed. About the only legal thing you can do is distribute an IPS patch that the end-user can apply to their legal copy of the original game.
Jedi QuestMaster

Which is exactly what I didn't want to do, since either people don't know enough about ips patching or don't care enough to do so.

But since there's this legal matter behind it, I won't take the risk. But I'd still like one made for myself.
hap

Post by hap »

Submit it to http://www.romhacking.net/
Its userbase cares, and has the know-how on patching.
Jedi QuestMaster

I'm aware of that site already; infact, it's where I feed on for knowledge.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

This page is kind of cool. I ask myself why he put "none" as available donator carts for Just Breed. Gemfire should be the only card able to be rewritten as it with Just Breed.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Jedi QuestMaster

Yeah, that was my first (& last) resort, if that makes sense.

Anyways, thanks all for not letting me do something stupid, like pirating my favorite NES company. :lol:
Cybergoth

Post by Cybergoth »

tepples wrote:nesreproductions.com?
Is this the only source for NES homebrew productions?
Jedi QuestMaster

Cybergoth wrote:
Yeah, what the heck? You guys didn't answer my question whether I should have someone reproduce it for me or if this kind of stuff can be learned pretty easily.
Cybergoth

Post by Cybergoth »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
Cybergoth wrote:
Yeah, what the heck? You guys didn't answer my question whether I should have someone reproduce it for me or if this kind of stuff can be learned pretty easily.
Uhm... but I don't know the answer. I registered here a week after you. Personally I never touch anything hardware if there's another way.

That aside, I think burning an EPROM is no Rocket Sience if you really want to do that. I'd just think it's way to expensive for a single cartridge, as a good EPROM burner alone already should be over $50...
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Desoldering the old ROMs is kinda tricky. Rewiring it isn't too hard, if you have a multimeter to check it. If there's a 128kB ROM, rewiring might be a little more annoying (connecting 32-pin ROM into a 28-pin socket).

If you just want one cart, going through nesreproductions.com would be a great deal. If you want a few or more, it'd be worth learning how to make them. I can burn some EPROMs for you for free, if you cover the shipping and ROM cost (or supply the blank ROMs to me).

There was another person doing cart reproductions, I don't know if he still is or his site address. It was the same cost as LeonK's service, if not a little more.
Jedi QuestMaster

Yes, I plan on making more that are not this hack. Memblers, I think the person who you are referring to is the person I'm having make me a reproduction now. Except his prices were lower. :?