What reproduction carts are available?

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
CyborgCabbage

What reproduction carts are available?

Post by CyborgCabbage » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:47 am

I am beginning the process of developing a home-brew game and I am trying to decide what mapper/MMC to use. The only manufacturer I've been able to find that does low volume "blank" carts cheaply is InfiniteNESLives. Of course there are flash carts like the Everdrive N8, but they always seam to cost 5x as much. RetroUSB looks promising but from what I can tell they have stopped selling "blank" carts. I have two questions:

1. Are there other manufacturers with a wider/different range of carts that are at a similar ~$20 price tag.
2. Are the carts labeled "COMING SOON development complete, site undercontstruction. (11/24/2014)" available anywhere; is this the most up to date store page for InfiniteNESLives?

(Feel free not to answer the second question, it is probably better suited to the support ticket thing on their website. But if you happen to know then hey, that's two birds with one stone.)

(By "blank" I mean made for the purpose of the customer/client putting a game onto them.)

calima

Re: What reproduction carts are available?

Post by calima » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 am

RetroStage is the other "big" name (however their site is currently closed due to corona). Then for the simpler discrete mappers, cnrom etc, there's a variety of such repro board makers.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm

There is also Muramasa, but they don't have any donor-less non-discrete mappers yet I think. Haven't tried them yet. I hope to try the Famicom repro carts when they come out.

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Thu May 07, 2020 6:02 pm

GTROM is also available, those are currently $9.50 each. Same price for low-volume orders. It's a simple mapper, but having 512kB makes it a decent step up from NROM and UNROM.
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/GTROM

muramasa

Post by muramasa » Fri May 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Pokun wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm
There is also Muramasa, but they don't have any donor-less non-discrete mappers yet I think. Haven't tried them yet. I hope to try the Famicom repro carts when they come out.
Thanks for the shout out. Right now most of our boards are DIY. We do have a MMC1 and MMC3 board that include the mapper chip. Famicom boards/shells are getting really close to being ready.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Sat May 09, 2020 7:31 am

Yeah but the MMC1 and MMC3 chips seems to be commercial clones at the moment.