Akira Wiring Help

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Lo-Res

Akira Wiring Help

Post by Lo-Res » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:50 am

Hey guys, I know there's 2 other threads on here about Akira but i have a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to in those threads.

first off, Akira uses a Taito-TC0190 pcb which has 28 pins for both the PRG and CHR sockets. I will be using a M27C020 for PRG (256kb) and M27C010 (128kb) for the 2 CHRs (using famirom to split the CHR). both of these EPROMS are 32 pin and I would like to know how these should be inserted into the sockets. I'm guessing pins 1,2,31,32 are lifted and pin 3 of the EPROM will insert into hole 1 of the sockets? I've only done games so far that have had 32 pin sockets so I'm unsure how they go into a 28 pin socket.

As for wiring, the only pinout I can find is the actual TC0190 chip pinout which I can use to follow the traces back to the PRG & CHR sockets. Looking at another pinout for the EPROMS I think I can figure out the changes needed and wire it up.

TC0190 pinout:
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Taito_TC0190_pinout

Eprom pinout:
https://thepoorstudenthobbyist.files.wo ... .png?w=700

Following both these diagrams should be ok?

The game is still in the mail so I'm just going off what I see on NesCartDB and these diagrams trying to get ready for when it arrives. Any help appreciated

lidnariq

Re: Akira Wiring Help

Post by lidnariq » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Lo-Res wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:50 am
I'm guessing pins 1,2,31,32 are lifted and pin 3 of the EPROM will insert into hole 1 of the sockets? I've only done games so far that have had 32 pin sockets so I'm unsure how they go into a 28 pin socket.
That's a reasonable guess.
Following both these diagrams should be ok?
In general, connect the same name to the same name. If you have specific questions, ask them.