Making a translated Final Fantasy 3 from an original cart

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Harry Hardon

Making a translated Final Fantasy 3 from an original cart

Post by Harry Hardon »

Hello all. :)

Firstly, I would like to say that english is not my natural language. So, sorry my future mistakes. :)

I'm purchasing a copy of an original japanese Final Fantasy 3 60pins, and, with it in hands, I will try burn an eprom with the translated ROM for my own use.

I've noticed there is no CHR ROM, only a 512KiB PRG ROM (32 x 16KiB).

I was wondering two things:

1 - The only eprom I will need to burn is that PRG? The others 2 (of 3) chips on the original board doesn't need to be removed?

2 - Anyone knows about REWIRING on this board? I will probably need to do this, right? On Nesdev I just found how to rewiring "TKROM -> TNROM conversion (mapper 4)". I know that FF3 uses TNROM, it's the right conversion?

I will put the PCB scan here too: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/image.php?ImageID=3830

Thank you very much.
dvdmth

Post by dvdmth »

You will only need one EPROM, which will be for PRG (512KB). That TKROM -> TNROM guide should tell you how to rewire the PRG connections for the EPROM (I think it's the same whether you're using a TKROM or a TNROM board - someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Do not do anything with CHR - those modifications are only necessary if you're using a TKROM board.
"Last version was better," says Floyd. "More bugs. Bugs make game fun."
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

That bootgod site has lots of falsified PCB scans, the most obvious fake is their Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt PCB. Where's the glop tops? Real version here.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

That isn't fake, its just a different (earlier?) PCB version. Only SMB/DH used the MHROM board, and only SMB/DH has the MH product code on the prg/chr.
Harry Hardon

Post by Harry Hardon »

So, I will just need to do this?

TKROM -> TNROM conversion (mapper 4):
PRG socket:
Bend up pins 1, 2, 24, 30 and 31 (or cut tracks 2, 24, 30 and 31)
Solder pin 2 to hole 24 (A16)
Solder pin 24 to GND (OE)
Solder pin 30 to hole 1 (A17)
Solder pin 31 to hole 2 (A18)

About those Nintendo boards with a "black drop" instead ROM chips, it's very strange. Some japanese versions uses this, if you look at Donkey Kong for Famicom (probably the first Famicom game), you can see it uses that "black drop" too.

But I think there's no (huge) variantions of Final Fantasy 3 (J). I don't have the copy of FF3 in hands yet, but probably will be the same (I hope).

Thanks.
:)

If I get this works, will post pictures later. :)
BootGod

Post by BootGod »

Dwedit wrote:That bootgod site has lots of falsified PCB scans, the most obvious fake is their Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt PCB. Where's the glop tops? Real version here.
That is one of the oddest comments I've ever heard :) You can see an example of the epoxy board here.

The epoxy board seems to be the most common, but they actually made a whopping 5 revisions of the "standard" board as well.
drk421

Post by drk421 »

If epoxy boards are cheaper, why not use them for all games?

What I thought was even weirder was early versions of Starfox were epoxy boards, but then the later versions were chip based. Wouldn't that make it more expensive to make?
tepples

Post by tepples »

drk421 wrote:If epoxy boards are cheaper, why not use them for all games?
I would imagine that the cost tradeoff for epoxy boards differs depending on the production volume. A pack-in like SMB1/Duck Hunt was made in such large volumes that the cost saved by switching away from DIP made up for the added expense of setting up a glop-top production run.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I am giving u link to my gallery. When my buddy was making FF3Eng from my Rockman 4 (pirate). Maybe it will help with making FF3 :)
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/rocketzapdos/