It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.

Post subject: donor carts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:51 am 
How do you know what donor carts to use when making your own cart? Such as that you need a zelda cart for Final Fantasy 2. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:51 am 

You have to use a cart that has the same (or extremely similar) board. The Bigass NES Mapper list can help some:

http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt

So if you're trying to make a FF2 cart (UNROM), you can use Skate Or Die, Pro Wrestling, Goonies 2, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:55 am 

UNROM can't do SRAM, let alone battery-backed SRAM. Was FF2 really UNROM, or was it SNROM (similar to UNROM but using an MMC1, with its serial register load, instead of the discrete logic)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:27 am 

Ohmygod, FF2 is SNROM, like Zelda, Damn it !!

It has just been hacked to use mapper 2 (UNROM) for an unknow reason, and that is possible because the games uses only 16kb low bankswitching like UNROM does, and only uses Vertical mirroring.

The "hm-02" corrupted verision of FF2 has just been too much common, and now everyone (including myself before) is beliving that FF2 is UNROM. That's terrible, terrible, terrible !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:31 am 

I'm finding that a lot of documentation out there is misleading, inaccurate, or wrong. It's sort of frustrating, because there's so much knowledge built up in people's heads, but all of the stuff written down is wrong and it's not being corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:16 am 

wow that is an awesome list. but what does okCHR mean?

rox_midge wrote:
You have to use a cart that has the same (or extremely similar) board. The Bigass NES Mapper list can help some:

http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt

So if you're trying to make a FF2 cart (UNROM), you can use Skate Or Die, Pro Wrestling, Goonies 2, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:21 am 

That's a zero, not the letter 'O'. It means that the cartridge does not have any CHR ROM on the board -- it has "Zero K" of CHR ROM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:22 am 

"0 KB CHR ROM" means that the game contains 8 KB or more RAM mapped into PPU$0000-$1FFF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:37 am 

great!! now i know what games to look for. one more question: why do the eproms this guy soldered in do not fit into the cartridge?

http://www.zyx.com/chrisc/solarwarscart.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:41 am 

Notice that he didn't solder the EPROMs directly to the board (which would be a bad idea anyway) -- he soldered two DIP carriers that he can snap the EPROMs into. However, there's not enough space inside the cartridge to accomodate a carrier and an EPROM, so part of the case needs to be cut away to make room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:49 am 

so why cant you solder the eprom to the board? what is the best way to get the eprom in there without having to cut the cart?

rox_midge wrote:
Notice that he didn't solder the EPROMs directly to the board (which would be a bad idea anyway) -- he soldered two DIP carriers that he can snap the EPROMs into. However, there's not enough space inside the cartridge to accomodate a carrier and an EPROM, so part of the case needs to be cut away to make room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:53 am 

coinheaven wrote:
so why cant you solder the eprom to the board?

You can, but then you can't easily remove them should you want to reprogram the cartridge with a different game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:59 am 

ahhh, i see. i wasnt planning on doing that anyway, so it wont be a problem. ok now eproms, say i want to use Super Mario Bros. 3 for the donor cart, which has 256k PRG / 128k CHR, which type of eproms should i use? if i could have a list of all types (128k PRG, etc) that would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:00 am 

I wouldn't solder the EPROMs directly to the board for fear I'd destroy it in the process. Plus, once it's on there it's not coming back out without work, which makes it hard to burn a new image onto the cart, which is half the fun.

If you don't want to cut up the cart, you might try Mill-Max's Ultra Low Profile DIP sockets:

(huge search string)

They sit about 2mm high, giving you just about 2mm for the EPROM to sit on top of it. That might work, but I've never tried it. Mill-Max will be happy to send you a sample if you want to give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:52 am 

coinheaven wrote:
wow that is an awesome list.

Oh my god, it isn't. This list looks very unaccurate. This place seems better : http://www.parodius.com/~veilleux/boardtable.txt