will this work?

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.

will this work?

Post by Guest »

ok, im about to make my first repro cart...very exciting. i want to put Yie Ar Kung Fu on a Super Mario Bros. cart, both are NROMs. I have split the .nes file into a PRG and CHR files. I have 2 27c512 eproms to burn them onto. the board is desoldered and ready for chips. now, can i just put the burn the eproms and solder them onto the board, with no extra wiring?
family_programmer

Post by family_programmer »

I don't think 27c512's will fit without some rewiring. Why can't you just use a 27(c)64 for VROM and a 27(c)256 for PRGROM? No rewiring needed, just solder two sockets, insert eproms and cart ready for use.
"Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly."
-- On a child sized Superman costume.

Post by Guest »

i got a good deal on the 512's, so i figured i could use them for all files under 128k. i didnt know that i should use the exact fitting eprom for the file, like i said, im a new at this.
family_programmer wrote:I don't think 27c512's will fit without some rewiring. Why can't you just use a 27(c)64 for VROM and a 27(c)256 for PRGROM? No rewiring needed, just solder two sockets, insert eproms and cart ready for use.
Necrosaro420

Post by Necrosaro420 »

What are the file size's? (PRG CHR). Also, make an account and stop posting as guest lol
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Smaller files are OK on larger roms, as long as the extra address lines aren't left floating (unconnected). You can just fill the chip up with the data repeated several times to be sure.
coinheaven

Post by coinheaven »

sorry, i always forget to log in. the file sizes are 16 k PRG and 8k CHR. So i can just fill up the chip until it is full with the same file and then just solder the chip on with no extra wiring?
Necrosaro420

Post by Necrosaro420 »

coinheaven wrote:sorry, i always forget to log in. the file sizes are 16 k PRG and 8k CHR. So i can just fill up the chip until it is full with the same file and then just solder the chip on with no extra wiring?
Yep, just do copy /b file.prg+file.prg+file.prg file_copied.prg

to make it the same file size as the eprom itself
coinheaven

Post by coinheaven »

i dont understand this, do you do this with the eprom software?
Necrosaro420 wrote:
coinheaven wrote:sorry, i always forget to log in. the file sizes are 16 k PRG and 8k CHR. So i can just fill up the chip until it is full with the same file and then just solder the chip on with no extra wiring?

coinheaven

Post by coinheaven »

do i type this in or is this an action? im using a willem programmer. thanks
Necrosaro420 wrote:

dXtr

Post by dXtr »

you type it in a dos-prompt..
to open one in windows
click on "start" and then "run"
then type in cmd (in win2k or newer) or command (in all win9x)
then type in cd (path to your folder containing your prg file)
now you type in (were input_file.prg is your prg file):
copy /b input_file.prg+input_file.prg+input_file.prg output_file.prg
for every +input_file.prg you append 'input_file.prg' to the end of output_file.prg and in this case that means output_file.prg will contain 3 copies of input_file.prg. now you can burn your (e)eprom/flash with output_file.prg
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^
coinheaven

Post by coinheaven »

ok, i made the PRG and CHR files 64k and burned them to 27c512 eproms and attached them to the NROM board but all i get on the tv screen is a black and white scrambled buzzing screen. any idea what im doing wrong? do i need to solder it for it to work? i didnt want to do this yet since this is my first game and am still working out the kinks. thanks
Necrosaro420

Post by Necrosaro420 »

coinheaven wrote:ok, i made the PRG and CHR files 64k and burned them to 27c512 eproms and attached them to the NROM board but all i get on the tv screen is a black and white scrambled buzzing screen. any idea what im doing wrong? do i need to solder it for it to work? i didnt want to do this yet since this is my first game and am still working out the kinks. thanks

It SHOULD be soldered to assure that the contacts are making, um, contact =) I would try that.
coinheaven

Post by coinheaven »

ok, but how do the chips go on the board? i have them with the letters to the right.
Necrosaro420 wrote:
coinheaven wrote:ok, i made the PRG and CHR files 64k and burned them to 27c512 eproms and attached them to the NROM board but all i get on the tv screen is a black and white scrambled buzzing screen. any idea what im doing wrong? do i need to solder it for it to work? i didnt want to do this yet since this is my first game and am still working out the kinks. thanks

It SHOULD be soldered to assure that the contacts are making, um, contact =) I would try that.
tepples

Post by tepples »

There's a little semicircular notch in one of the ends of the chip. The notch on the chip should be on the same side as the notch symbol on the board.
coinheaven

Post by coinheaven »

Sweet, i got it working!!!!! thanks alot for everyones help.